Gots a short I think....need help on a 4TEC SC

OK....2003 4TEC SC, slightly modded (LVL1), never had a battery issue till this year.

Oh...BTW, early this summer for the first time ever the ski was tipped over (Fresh water & definately water in the hull). Took a few minutes to get everyone settled & turn it back over. Started right up & has run perfectly......until about a month ago.

HAd a relatively new (<1 year old) sealed battery in it & went to go out one day after it had sat a couple weeks & nothing.

Took it back, they said it was cooked & there was something wrong (a short) with the PWC. I said bull$hit, FU & some other stuff & left. Went & bought a new Interstate battery.

Used it a couple/3 times, then its' sat about 2-3 weeks again. Just went out to put the trickle charger on it & it doesn't register ANYTHING. Tried to start it & DEAD. Battery is cooked. While the charger was on it (2 amp charging settin) I could hear a regular click in the engine compartment about every 30-40 seconds or so. Almost sounded like the solenoid engaging but I cannot be sure.

Any idea's where I might begin to look before I take it to my local Stealer? thx

Quote Originally Posted by jitees View Post
    OK....2003 4TEC SC, slightly modded (LVL1), never had a battery issue till this year.

Oh...BTW, early this summer for the first time ever the ski was tipped over (Fresh water & definately water in the hull). Took a few minutes to get everyone settled & turn it back over. Started right up & has run perfectly......until about a month ago.

HAd a relatively new (<1 year old) sealed battery in it & went to go out one day after it had sat a couple weeks & nothing.

Took it back, they said it was cooked & there was something wrong (a short) with the PWC. I said bull$hit, FU & some other stuff & left. Went & bought a new Interstate battery.

Used it a couple/3 times, then its' sat about 2-3 weeks again. Just went out to put the trickle charger on it & it doesn't register ANYTHING. Tried to start it & DEAD. Battery is cooked. While the charger was on it (2 amp charging settin) I could hear a regular click in the engine compartment about every 30-40 seconds or so. Almost sounded like the solenoid engaging but I cannot be sure.

Any idea's where I might begin to look before I take it to my local Stealer? thx
    I think something got wet in the electronics and shorted the system out. Who can say what it is without an inspection. Sounds like your dealer diagnosed the problem correctly the first time. Now you are out 2 batteries (instead of just one).

You might try disconnecting the solenoid and cleaning it. Check for burnt contact points. It is an inexpensive part and with the clicking you describe is a reasonable place to start if you don't want to take it to the dealer. I'd make sure you know what the problem is before you connect battery number 3. Maybe you can meter the system to see if there is a short to ground (before reinstalling a new battery).

Hey Jitees, I've got a similar problem...were you able to fix the problem?

Thread Information