+1

Xlt 1200 Findings & Questions

Last Christmas I installed a PPK, SOLAS 12/18, Riva grate & plate on my brother in laws 01 XLT 1200. I had never rode it or any other XLT before these mods, but rode it a few weeks ago. The temp. was in the high 60's on a good air day in Alabama. With gas on the buzzer it ran 61.3. The next day with a full tank it ran 60.3. I thought this was pretty good. My dissapointment was the cavitation that still existed and where it existed. I was expecting some cavitation right out of the hole, however this is not where it cavitated. Right before it got on plane, about 2 or 3 seconds into the holeshot it would cavitate. This had me bothered since I was the one that did the work and it just did not seem right. I started experimenting with the trim positioning when coming out of the hole. I ended up finding that it would not cavitate at all if I came out of the hole with the trim up. The other four settings it would. Being the XLT is a big ski, it would come out of the hole perfect with the trim up and would not leap out of the water an unhook.

Another thing I found interesting was on topspeed runs it would porpoise some when trimmed all the way up. The best GPS runs were with the trim in nuetral. I expected that it would benefit from being trimmed up because it is so big and heavy. Have any of you XLT guys shimmed the plate to help with the porpoise when trimmed up? Any thoughts on why it would cavitate in all trim positions other than up? Thanks.

+1
    Bump it up to a 13/19 the hub processes water better I got this tip from Impros you can have it depitched if you are not turning the rpm's

Has it got a seal kit? Riva makes a pump seal kit for that model, it's really for the inlet shoe,if not sealed properly it draws in air which causes cavatation. This is what I have read plus like Bill said change the prop too.

Quote Originally Posted by GPKiwi View Post
    Has it got a seal kit? Riva makes a pump seal kit for that model, it's really for the inlet shoe,if not sealed properly it draws in air which causes cavatation. This is what I have read plus like Bill said change the prop too.
    He has the seal kit.In the first sentence it says ppk installed.

Sorry I did not know what PPK meant.

+1
    When I first asked about what prop to run on this ski, everyone was saying a 12/18 for a stock motor. He is happy with it and he lives 630 miles away. He bought the ski used. The intake grate was missing a bar, the prop had a hole in it. I did all of what I listed in the first post, plus put in a new impeller housing. He is not into it like we are, he does not have a tach. Overall I am happy with the outcome. It will not cavitate out of the hole with the trim up atleast, and it ran 61.3.

Thread Information