Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Question Question on hours/gauge for a FX HO -

Looking at buying a 2006 FX HO - its a pretty good deal, and the gauge says it only has 56 hours on it, but the ski looks like it has a ton more than that. Are these like the old yamaha's where you can swap out the gauge and basically reset the hours??? Ski could be just beat up - I dont really care what it looks like as long as it runs good and the hours are true.

+1
    Storing a ski outside unprotected will cause it to age fast. I left my '96 out for about 6 months, and in that little bit of time, the seat deteriorated quite a bit, and the other rubber and plastic parts faded. I'd say 56 hours is about right for a lot of people for an '06. Local dealer had a pair of '07's that came in on trade a couple months ago-one with 7 hours, and the other with 10. Don't know why someone traded them in for new ones when they didn't ride the ones they had.

+1
    Its not just the top side - the pump is noisy hull is pretty scraped etc... it looks like it has 300-400 hours on it honestly. Can a dealer scan and verify the hours???

Thanks!

+1
    I don't think there's any way for them to scan it. It just sounds like they didn't take care of it. I bought my '96 in 2007, and it only had 90 hours on it at 11 years old. It was in really good condition, though. If they ran it up on the beach a lot, that will cause a lot of wear on the hull, and they may have sucked sand into the pump while beaching it. It doesn't take much. There's another thread right now of a guy with an FZR with a lot less than 56 hours on it who ran his up on the beach so much that it wore completely through his hull. I would stay away from the one you're looking at, because it sounds like it wasn't taken care of very well, whether it has 56 hours or 156 hours.

+1
    The hour display unit can be changed, & it will start showing 0 hrs from instalation, however the ECU records hours from day one regardless of any instrument change. You need to get a dealer to plug in theYDS to give you true engine hours.
    As for 56 hours being about right for an 06.......I have 247 hrs on my 07 & it is not that far off showroom condition. From what you describe, this might be one to walk away from!

+1
    don't get sucked in by the hours
    if it looks bad it is probably a lot worse inside
    just remember the biterness of poor quality lasts a lot longer than the excitement of a cheep price
    also a high hour well looked after ski will still have plenty of life left in it
    they should be ok for about 1,000 hours before all the litle things start to go wrong

kev

+1
    Can you do a leak down test or compression test to verify engine is good working condition? How many hours are these good for if oil is changed etc? Or do little/expensive things start to go wrong with them? I rode one this summer and really liked it..

+1
    You should walk away from this one, and keep looking. You're better off spending more on one that's been taken care of, even if it has more hours. It really sucks when you have to paddle in or be towed in.

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    just remember the biterness of poor quality lasts a lot longer than the excitement of a cheep price
    kev
    a so true quote i like it

+1
    What if you run a motec vipec or any after market ecu , does the hours gauge still work???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information