Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

tunnel hose is mush! any other solutions?

OK, I replaced the tunnel hose with the good reinforced Dayco 1.5 hose. after about 35 hours or so I was working on the ski and had some more, so installed another new piece. This one was just a bit swollen. now at approx another 35 hours this one is mush... bloated and soft... ok add jokes...lol...

so is there a better solution while I have it apart? a friend suggested that I can install a piece of PVC inside the hose and then slide it on?
    anyone done this? or what have you guys come up with?
    if I used a length of PVC should it be the white or the grey tubing? can the hose be made into 2 parts with the tubing in the middle?

any thoughts are appreciated...

+1
    Don't know if I've ever heard of anyone having problems except with the stock hose, Andy. Don't think PVC would work; you would have sections at each end that would be un-reinforced hose, that would defeat the purpose.

I know you were skeptical about my suggestion of the clear nylon reinforced hose, but next time you are in Lowes just make it a point to check it out and see what you think of it. The stuff is seriously stiff and thick.

But I'll be checking the hose on the Crayola for sure now, it's got the same stuff you had on yours.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    whats the i/d of that hose?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    whats the i/d of that hose?
    I think it's 1 1/2" ID......

Gates 1/12 in ID no one has had a problem with the gates from what I have heard.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Gates 1/12 in ID no one has had a problem with the gates from what I have heard.
    +1

thats the one im using,
    wfo also sells a kit that comes with the hose and the big billet intake grate mount.

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    Yes use Gates hose, Im not sure of that Dayco stuff.

+1
    Andy,
    What happens, is that there is a vacuum in that tunnel when the ski is at low speed and you hit the gas! This last up to 35ish-45ish mph depending on your situation. This actually causes the hose to flex, and touch the driveshaft. You will see it as a shiny spot on the driveshaft.

So, the pipe in a pipe trick works well. Use a third clamp to keep the middle pipe from moving. It's a real BEAR to get it in there, however. Thin-wall aluminum tubing works best. Don't try and cover EVERY inch. Just a piece in the middle to prevent collapse. Preventing this collapse will make the cheapest hose to last. Even soft.

Thank you for the replys. Just some tids bits. I`ve been using Dayco products for years and they are not junk. This hose is reinforced and heavy wall. I have to assume that holeshot, low speed and wot runs shorten the life of the hose. and the amount of changes I made to ski ski and checking rpms and testing def put more of a load on the hose... I seriously didn`t expect it to be this short tho...

other than looking at Bruce from Riva`s build and seeing he made billet tube for that area, I thought maybe someone here has tried something similar with readily available parts from local stores...
    I will conjure up something, and if not just simply replace the hose with a new piece...
    IMHO Gates is junk, at least all their automotive belts and hoses are...

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Andy,
    What happens, is that there is a vacuum in that tunnel when the ski is at low speed and you hit the gas! This last up to 35ish-45ish mph depending on your situation. This actually causes the hose to flex, and touch the driveshaft. You will see it as a shiny spot on the driveshaft.

So, the pipe in a pipe trick works well. Use a third clamp to keep the middle pipe from moving. It's a real BEAR to get it in there, however. Thin-wall aluminum tubing works best. Don't try and cover EVERY inch. Just a piece in the middle to prevent collapse. Preventing this collapse will make the cheapest hose to last. Even soft.
    hey Mark, yes I have seen the spot from the original hose that came with the ski. Since then with the replacement hose, it hasn`t touched, but havent checked this second one yet... I was just surprised to see it soften, and that had to be from the transition from vacuum to pressure... or what ever else occurs there..
    I`ll see if I can match the OD with something local here...if not I`ll mess with it over the winter... thanks..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information