Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    SLT 750 Weak Fuel Flow

    I recently bought a '95 SLT 750. It runs well...once you get it started. From what I can tell, the starting struggles are due to the fuel moving through the lines so slowly. To try to fix this I've:
    • replaced all fuel lines
    • replaced single outlet fuel pump with triple outlet
    • replaced fuel selector valve
    • replaced fuel filter
    I've also made sure there are no kinks in the fuel lines and kept the pulse line into the fuel pump as short as I could.

    When I try to start it, I can see the fuel slooowly pulsing through the fuel line. Every time I stop cranking, the fuel start moving backwards through the line. If I crank long enough, the fuel makes it into the carbs and she fires up and runs fine.

    Thinking about checking the fuel tank next, but disappointed that I'm not seeing better fuel flow at this point.

    Any other ideas?


  2. #2
    la90043's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,201
    If you seeing fuel flowing backwards after shutting dowm you have an air leak or a fuel leak that is quite major.

  3. #3
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    Try unscrewing the the gas cap and see if that helps. (if it does, then you may have the tank vents failing)

    Also consider going with a primer set up VS the choke. It makes for a fast start up.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Try unscrewing the the gas cap and see if that helps. (if it does, then you may have the tank vents failing)

    Also consider going with a primer set up VS the choke. It makes for a fast start up.
    I like the idea of a primer setup. Can I do that on my SLT780? If so, how?

  5. #5
    Thanks for the replies. I don't believe there is any fuel leak, but I wonder about the air leak. Seems like air would need to be getting in the line somewhere around the fuel pump in order for fuel to flow back towards the tank.

    A primer setup could do a lot for me since the fuel flow seems decent once she fires up, and I've manually primed to get the engine rolling in the past. Can you tell me where I can find some information?

  6. #6
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
    I like the idea of a primer setup. Can I do that on my SLT780? If so, how?
    Yes you can

    Quote Originally Posted by PYNG21 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I don't believe there is any fuel leak, but I wonder about the air leak. Seems like air would need to be getting in the line somewhere around the fuel pump in order for fuel to flow back towards the tank.

    A primer setup could do a lot for me since the fuel flow seems decent once she fires up, and I've manually primed to get the engine rolling in the past. Can you tell me where I can find some information?
    There is tons of info if you look through the tech section.

    Basically you remove the choke plates from the carb rack.

    You then epoxy in the brass fittings included in the primer kit.

    Remove the choke lever and cable.

    Install the primer plunger

    Plumb the plunger to the carbs, and then to the reserve or return line depending on your model.

    NOTE:Make sure to get the proper kit for your carbs. There is a kit for the Mikuni carbs and the Keihins. Most triple cyl kits run around $35.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 95 slt 750 no fuel (Need Help )
    By Firemen358 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 10:01 PM
  2. Polaris slt 750 No fuel
    By Bgarcia in forum Polaris Tech Tips and Info
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 01:48 PM
  3. 95 SLT 750: Weak Spark...Need Urgent Help!
    By ShiftRacing in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 08:36 AM
  4. fuel primer for 95' slt 750
    By xplayer2885 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 09:13 AM
  5. 94 slt 750 fuel question
    By ace16a in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •