SLT780 How to Check Fuel Pickups

Guys,

I'm just about to put the SLT back in the water after rebuilding the fuel pump for the third time (this time with a genuine Mikuni kit). So.....I wanted to check the fuel pickup tubes. I took the screws out of the the black cap (where the fule lines connect) and lifted the aluminum housing up as far as it will go but it hits the hull before being free from the tank. I assume this means you have to remove the tank to check the pickups. I can't see any bolt/brackets holding the tank in the hull. How do I get it out so that I can inspect the pickups. Also....I was expecting to find flexible rubber pickup tubes in there based on some things I had read but instead there is just a big aluminum housing.

Appreciate the help.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
    Guys,

I'm just about to put the SLT back in the water after rebuilding the fuel pump for the third time (this time with a genuine Mikuni kit). So.....I wanted to check the fuel pickup tubes. I took the screws out of the the black cap (where the fule lines connect) and lifted the aluminum housing up as far as it will go but it hits the hull before being free from the tank. I assume this means you have to remove the tank to check the pickups. I can't see any bolt/brackets holding the tank in the hull. How do I get it out so that I can inspect the pickups. Also....I was expecting to find flexible rubber pickup tubes in there based on some things I had read but instead there is just a big aluminum housing.

Appreciate the help.

Todd
    You have to pull the tank out to get the fuel sender out of the tank. The tank fittings are attached to the sender. There are mounting bolts on each side of the tank that insert into the hull. They are at the bottom of each semi-circle indentation on each side of the tank. Do you suspect a problem with the fuel sender?

Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    You have to pull the tank out to get the fuel sender out of the tank. The tank fittings are attached to the sender. There are mounting bolts on each side of the tank that insert into the hull. They are at the bottom of each semi-circle indentation on each side of the tank. Do you suspect a problem with the fuel sender?
    Not the sender but the fuel pickup tubes. I only say that because I am chasing a problem with some irregular fuel flow (one possibility) and I have seen threads about checking the fuel pickup tubes. I was expecting flexible tubes, not the big aluminum housing that's in there.

Quote Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
    Not the sender but the fuel pickup tubes. I only say that because I am chasing a problem with some irregular fuel flow (one possibility) and I have seen threads about checking the fuel pickup tubes. I was expecting flexible tubes, not the big aluminum housing that's in there.
    The housing that you are talking about is on top of the fuel sender if I am understanding you correctly. I think the threads your talking about with the checking of the fuel lines when there is a problem with the pulse line or fuel pump. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting checking anything in that area except the vent though.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    The housing that you are talking about is on top of the fuel sender if I am understanding you correctly. I think the threads your talking about with the checking of the fuel lines when there is a problem with the pulse line or fuel pump. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting checking anything in that area except the vent though.
    Well....I remember seeing pictures in a thread where a guy had chased a fuel starvation issue (could possibly have been on another site). He finally pulled the fuel pickup tubes and found one of them badly broken up. That might not apply to this model though. Is it just a solid metal tube for the fuel pickup in the tank? The part I was talking about is silver box/tube that appears to have some sort of printed circuit in it. I assume it must contain the level sensor AND the fuel pickup tube.

Thread Information