Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

951 starts and races to redline

When I start the ski it races right away to 7K. Rebuilt the crabs, changed gaskets, fuel lines connected correctly, everything else is fine I think, I was thinking it was the crank seals but if I but if I play with the choke I can get the revs to drop, so they may be fine; any ideas? TIA!

+1
    you have an air leak somewhere causing a lean runaway.

+1
    LEAN OUT..!!! lol.. Anyway start simple.. Fuel is on right? Carbs are tight on manifold. What else did you take apart. The ski was running before and you did what kind of work..?? Rebuilt carbs only ? Or something else.

+1
    Thanks! that what I was thinking, but if pulling on the choke I can regulate and play with the RPM or kill the ski at will, where do you think the air would be comming from or would a small leak cause the ski runaway but the choke plates can "override" that leak?

+1
    How is the throttle cable does it work right ...are the carbs opening and closing all the way sounds like maybe the throttle cable is being pulled or the carbs may be opened up some since this is what you played with...

how far is your idle screw did you play with that. Not that it will rev to 7000 but just keeping it simple at the moment.

+1
    when you pull the choke it's restricting the air. Usually when you get a motor that runs away that fast it's a pretty decent size leak. Small leaks are the motor killers that you don't see but burn the motor up while riding.
    Go back over your work and pay careful attention to any gasket surfaces that you seperated/re assembled before this all started happening.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    How is the throttle cable does it work right ...are the carbs opening and closing all the way sounds like maybe the throttle cable is being pulled or the carbs may be opened up some since this is what you played with...

how far is your idle screw did you play with that. Not that it will rev to 7000 but just keeping it simple at the moment.
    VERY good points!

+1
    Thanks Drew and Jonny! Jonny, didn't see your post but the throttle cable is ok, etc. I redid the base gasket, changed reeds, rebuilt carbs for prok kit, nothing major, but you and Drew brought up some good points, I'll go over everything now; I was hoping that it was some unheard of check valve throwing the system off. thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by badjoka View Post
    Thanks Drew and Jonny! Jonny, didn't see your post but the throttle cable is ok, etc. I redid the base gasket, changed reeds, rebuilt carbs for prok kit, nothing major, but you and Drew brought up some good points, I'll go over everything now; I was hoping that it was some unheard of check valve throwing the system off. thanks guys!
    was thefuel/water seprator full with fuel?

Take a picture of the carbs, so we can see vac /fuel lines.

what did you compression check out at ( not relevatant here jw)

It would have to be a fairly large air leak to cause it rev that high! verify the butterflys are closed!

+1
    Good point on the water separator, when that ring doesnt seat properly air comes in, thanks but thats ok. I'm in the process of taking it apart and putting it all back together, I'm curious as to whats the cause, so many variables

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information