+1

intake grate comparison

has anyone every us or heard anything about how the r&d pro 2 aquavein(single bar) intake performs im trying to find a grate thats good i see alot of guys use the 800 grate but they say it cavitates alot and u lose your holeshot is there a grate that gives u the 1 or 2 miles that they say u get for the 800 grate but still have i nice bottom end punch

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tealgreen2000 View Post
    has anyone every us or heard anything about how the r&d pro 2 aquavein(single bar) intake performs im trying to find a grate thats good i see alot of guys use the 800 grate but they say it cavitates alot and u lose your holeshot is there a grate that gives u the 1 or 2 miles that they say u get for the 800 grate but still have i nice bottom end punch
    Generally speaking, no.

If that were the case then virtually everyone would gravitate to that grate. For the most part, you need aa lot of water for the hole shot. In fact, water is pulled into the tunnel, and the water pressure goes negative.... this is one of the reasons why you would cavitate. When you compare the 800 to the 1200, it is very obvious that the 1200 allows more water to enter the inlet tunnel hence is the choice for an overall better hole shot. As the boat approaches top speed, water is now being forced into the intake tunnel at how ever speed that you are traveling. Now the problem is that TO much water is going into the tunnel. The 800 grate shines at top speed becausee it limits or allows less water to enter the tunnel then the 1200. The pump then operates more effecitently and you get better top speed. However, even the 800 grates have their limits. When the boats go faster and faster as in the case of these monster GPR's that you read about doing 80 to 90+mph, even they allow to much water to enter.

When more water can go into the pump tunnel then the pump can actually process, it is called "overstuffing" the pump (in race lingo). Ugly things happen. Do some research on 800 vs 1200 grates and single vs double bar grates and "overstuffing". You may have to read between the lines to get the big picture.

Now there are people who modify their grates to get the best of both worlds, but that takes time and patients.... not to mention taking the risk of distroying a grate or making it weak to the point that it is no longer sea worthy.

Moderated
    salty is spot on with what he said.

if you ride open water/off shore then go a single bar 1200 grate, if you dont go the dual bar 1200 grate.

i have all 3 styles including ss 800 grates but i like the dual bar 1200 best of all which works fine for me into the high 80's, its got good hookup, little cavitation and low risk of breaking at high speed compared to the r&d 800 grates.

i have tried my selection of SS 800 gratestoo but i have not found the right mod for them yet to give me the hole shot i want, it will take a ton of reshaping to address that as i prefer holeshot over top speed now days.

salty u no your shi...u broke every thing down..sticky?

Thread Information