Fuji - crank cases full of oil

I picked up a '95 SLX 780 today. (along with a '96 in parts)

No clue if it runs. It was last stickered in '98. I bought them from a guy that bought them at an auction only a few hours before.

Any way, I got home and started playing with it. Pulled the plugs and threw a spare battery in it to see if it would turn over....and it did....which resulted in a geyser of oil shooting out of one of the plug holes. Seriously. This is north Texas and I thought I had just struck it rich! This thing shot a stream of oil about 20' in the air and splattered everything in a 30' radius. There's oil on the roof of my 2-story garage. I'm guessing someone took the old "put a few drops of oil down the cylinders when you store it" too seriously. Although, they probably did manage to save the engine during it's nearly decade-long storage.

I used some rags to prevent further splatter and just kept turning it over until I was only getting a mist of oil out of the cylinders. Do you think that's enough to put the plugs back in and try to fire it or is there something I should do to try to get any remaining oil out?

Edit: Here's a pic from the CL ad. The '95 is actually in really good shape and I got a title with it. It's actually a nice looking ski. Just need to see if it runs. The '96 is pretty much trashed. The engine is in pieces and the crank is shot. The cylinders look like they were good by all have surface rust in the bores now.

I really just wanted the trailer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	780-1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	212225

I had some excess oil in my crankcase as well when I picked up my SLX. I used a shop vac with a little jimmy rigging.

Took the lid from a glass jar, drilled a hole in it and used the tip of a bic pen in the hole. Put the glass lid over the shop vac hose and used the pen tip to attach inside the impulse line hose (goes to the back of the fuel pump).

Crank the engine with the shop vac on and you should get the majority of the oil out.

I wanted to see what I was getting out, so I used the glass jar, drilled another hole and pen tip fitting with hose to create a vacuum in the glass jar.

I've used it for other things since.

Worked for me anyway.

May help to jack the bow of the hull up too.

This is what I pulled out the first time:

Good luck.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If the carbs and reeds are off (which should be checked due to age alone) you can slip a hose between the crank webs and vac out any fluids still in the case.

Then check your reeds and carbs, reinstall and run the ole girl. That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoanalog View Post
    I had some excess oil in my crankcase as well when I picked up my SLX. I used a shop vac with a little jimmy rigging.

Took the lid from a glass jar, drilled a hole in it and used the tip of a bic pen in the hole. Put the glass lid over the shop vac hose and used the pen tip to attach inside the impulse line hose (goes to the back of the fuel pump).

Crank the engine with the shop vac on and you should get the majority of the oil out.

I wanted to see what I was getting out, so I used the glass jar, drilled another hole and pen tip fitting with hose to create a vacuum in the glass jar.

I've used it for other things since.

Worked for me anyway.

May help to jack the bow of the hull up too.

This is what I pulled out the first time:

Good luck.
    This is a good idea. I have a nice little vac. pump with a reservoir that should work perfectly.....kinda the comercial version of yours!

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    If the carbs and reeds are off (which should be checked due to age alone) you can slip a hose between the crank webs and vac out any fluids still in the case.

Then check your reeds and carbs, reinstall and run the ole girl. That's my opinion.
    I'll probably pull the carbs but I kind of want to see if it'll at least run first.

Thread Information