Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar

Fire extinguisher went off in my ski

Ok, went to ride with a few guys yesterday. We were sitting for about an hour just talking out on the water when a white smoke came from my seat. I thought it was on fire. Pulled off the seat to see that the fire extinguisher was going off. Everything was cover. I found the pin broke and somehow the extinguisher went off and covered everything with white crap. I did not start it...we started dumping water in it to clean off the pipe, and other stuff that was covered. It mostly shot on the left side of the ski. I looked to where the intake box is (under the pipe in the front of the engine) and saw thats where the powder pretty much stopped. Now, I drove it back to the landing (about 2 miles away) I feels good, but Im wondering if it sucked any of the stuff in, and wonder if eventually down the road it starts wearing at the cylinder walls, and crank seals go. Its pretty much my luck, and it sucks. Let me know what you guys think.

+1
    Ha, how fast did you run thinking it was a fire? You can fog the cylinders if you want but I would say you are just fine. Pull the plugs and look at them if your worried.

I was sitting on the water so no place to run, lol. Well, Im taking pics and going to insurance and see what they say. It's not bad, but I dont have time right now to mess with it. I know it sounds bad off me, but really, with work and school, there is 0 time now. Yesterday was my last day of riding for the summer. So Im going to see what they say, and go from there. Rather have them pay for it instead of me if at all possible. It's prolly nothing wrong, just to have it gone over, but like i said, Ill have someone do it becuase I don't have time.

They wanted it completely torn down...taken it to Hutch where at least they know how to do it.

+1
    That's messed up.......

+1
    they want it torn down? it was nothing to worry about. as long as it aired out pretty good you should be fine. ida had one of your friends carry your seat and ridden it back without a seat on it though. you can sit on where the battery goes.

hope they dont find anything else messed up while they are in there

Well the thing I was wondering about is, yes it runs good, but that stuff is just like dirt. It will stick to the oil in the cylinder and grind along the walls until down the road its done. It sucks. 250 dollar deductible just because my extinguisher went off.

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    Potentially $250 is better than a motor rebuild...

This is true, but think about it, 250 out right away, plus the rates will surly go up, probably double, so thats 200 extra a year...after 2 years, and the 250, its about the price for a rebuild. After that, its more. So not sure what sucks more. Oh well, stuff happens. Got work planned for it anyways. Guess I can order the parts while it's in. Wish I had more time on my hands to do it myself. Would have givin me a reason to send the cylinders down to woody's for porting.

Well this would be a comprehensive claim and they aren't allowed to raise rates on comp claims.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information