Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: MFD

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt carroll, IL
    Posts
    91

    MFD

    MY Mfd display on my sl900 works on and off it had quit working so i pulled the plug in the back of it and made sure it was clean and plugged it back in and it worked for a bit now at high rpm it just keeps reseting its self but at low rpm it seems to work fine. What could be causing it to do this could a back connection at the mfd end cause it to keep reseting?


  2. #2
    TopCop931's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nutley, NJ
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by hartman View Post
    MY Mfd display on my sl900 works on and off it had quit working so i pulled the plug in the back of it and made sure it was clean and plugged it back in and it worked for a bit now at high rpm it just keeps reseting its self but at low rpm it seems to work fine. What could be causing it to do this could a back connection at the mfd end cause it to keep reseting?
    I was just mentioning I am having a similar problem on another thread. When it first started happening to me, I disconnected the MFD and the battery for about 4 hours and then put it all back together and it worked fine again. Now I am having the same issue with the rpms and mph readings not being accurate in the memory.

    I am awaiting a response from K447 as he is the electronics guy around here. I have learned a lot about these MFD's myself over the past months and they just seem to crap out over time after being resusatated several times.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,574
    +1
    1,272
    Well, the easy answer is to try another working MFD

    What exactly do you mean by 'resetting itself' at high RPM. What exactly does the MFD do?

    First thing I would suggest is to spray some electrical contact cleaner (non-residue type) into each hole of the unplugged wire harness connector, and also clean off any dielectric grease that may be coating the pins in the MFD connector. Look for any signs of corrosion or damaged wires near the connector.

    Plug it back together, and see if it works better.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt carroll, IL
    Posts
    91
    by resting i mean everything will turn on and red light will blink and the time will reset. Stopped working again completly today.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    chandler az
    Posts
    59
    sounds like you need to cut open it and clean the contacts on the display

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisslt View Post
    sounds like you need to cut open it and clean the contacts on the display
    I did this and it worked great for a couple weeks then the display got foggy and quit altogether, took it apart and it had lots of water in it.

    So if you do cut it open to clean contacts, just make sure you seal it back up good.

  7. #7
    TopCop931's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nutley, NJ
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by JackAzz View Post
    I did this and it worked great for a couple weeks then the display got foggy and quit altogether, took it apart and it had lots of water in it.

    So if you do cut it open to clean contacts, just make sure you seal it back up good.
    That is why I took the extra time and effort to cut the clear cover off by hand with a utility and went through an entire box of razor blades. It is a cleaner cut and easier to seal back up. The roto tool takes about 1/8" of material out of there. That has to be filled with some water-tight durable sealant. There is a thread that illustrates how to build the material back up with epoxy resin but I still think if you can get the display cover off it is a better way to go.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MFD mounting for a PRO 1200
    By Hayabusa in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 07:02 PM
  3. Charging. What voltage/MFD problem
    By 2kids3pets in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
  4. Resetting a Polaris LoPwr MFD
    By javiert99 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 11:54 AM
  5. MFD Type I & II
    By beerdart in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 12:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •