Thread: MFD

MFD

MY Mfd display on my sl900 works on and off it had quit working so i pulled the plug in the back of it and made sure it was clean and plugged it back in and it worked for a bit now at high rpm it just keeps reseting its self but at low rpm it seems to work fine. What could be causing it to do this could a back connection at the mfd end cause it to keep reseting?

Quote Originally Posted by hartman View Post
    MY Mfd display on my sl900 works on and off it had quit working so i pulled the plug in the back of it and made sure it was clean and plugged it back in and it worked for a bit now at high rpm it just keeps reseting its self but at low rpm it seems to work fine. What could be causing it to do this could a back connection at the mfd end cause it to keep reseting?
    I was just mentioning I am having a similar problem on another thread. When it first started happening to me, I disconnected the MFD and the battery for about 4 hours and then put it all back together and it worked fine again. Now I am having the same issue with the rpms and mph readings not being accurate in the memory.

I am awaiting a response from K447 as he is the electronics guy around here. I have learned a lot about these MFD's myself over the past months and they just seem to crap out over time after being resusatated several times.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, the easy answer is to try another working MFD

What exactly do you mean by 'resetting itself' at high RPM. What exactly does the MFD do?

First thing I would suggest is to spray some electrical contact cleaner (non-residue type) into each hole of the unplugged wire harness connector, and also clean off any dielectric grease that may be coating the pins in the MFD connector. Look for any signs of corrosion or damaged wires near the connector.

Plug it back together, and see if it works better.

by resting i mean everything will turn on and red light will blink and the time will reset. Stopped working again completly today.

sounds like you need to cut open it and clean the contacts on the display

Quote Originally Posted by polarisslt View Post
    sounds like you need to cut open it and clean the contacts on the display
    I did this and it worked great for a couple weeks then the display got foggy and quit altogether, took it apart and it had lots of water in it.

So if you do cut it open to clean contacts, just make sure you seal it back up good.

Quote Originally Posted by JackAzz View Post
    I did this and it worked great for a couple weeks then the display got foggy and quit altogether, took it apart and it had lots of water in it.

So if you do cut it open to clean contacts, just make sure you seal it back up good.
    That is why I took the extra time and effort to cut the clear cover off by hand with a utility and went through an entire box of razor blades. It is a cleaner cut and easier to seal back up. The roto tool takes about 1/8" of material out of there. That has to be filled with some water-tight durable sealant. There is a thread that illustrates how to build the material back up with epoxy resin but I still think if you can get the display cover off it is a better way to go.

Thread Information