Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first winterization, need assistance....

Ok, from what I read there is help in this section but I cannot find the help, just others asking for it... so here is what I need to know:

Stabil... put it in the tank, and then run it in the water...? cuz the last time I know I'll be at the lake this season.. I can do that... I know that it has to get in the fuel lines good and well. already got a bottle...

Fogging oil.. what is this, and how do you do it.

Antifreeze, is it necessary, or can you just blow out the ski reel good when you take it out of the water the last time? And if so, how so to make sure it's done properly.

Battery, disconnect or not? and should I store it in the garage by itself?

Anything else that needs to be done?

I just want to make sure I get everything done right... temps here are good, it was 82 wednesday so I'm not anticipating it too soon yet, but when the time comes I would love to know how to do it properly...

Thanks everyone!
    Jared

Winterization

You didn't say what machine you have. The Owners Manual is key to what to accomplish.

Check this site. SBT has a wealth of info.

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=13977

I have a 96 sl780 and I do not have a manual... (I do not have a fogging kit on my ski as I have heard some models may come with it, mine did not...)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc011185 View Post
    Ok, from what I read there is help in this section but I cannot find the help, just others asking for it... so here is what I need to know:

Stabil... put it in the tank, and then run it in the water...? cuz the last time I know I'll be at the lake this season.. I can do that... I know that it has to get in the fuel lines good and well. already got a bottle...

That's a fine way to do it and will not cause any harm. It's actually the best way.

Fogging oil.. what is this, and how do you do it.

It's oil that is used to lubricate the internals of the engine to prevent corrosion over longer than normal storage periods.

You run the engine while spraying it down the carb throats (or airbox plugs designed for this, or an open style flame arrestor, if your machine has them) at the same time, reving it to prevent stalling, making sure to get all cylinders until it looks like your "fogging" for mesquitos out of your exhaust.

Antifreeze, is it necessary, or can you just blow out the ski reel good when you take it out of the water the last time? And if so, how so to make sure it's done properly.

Hard to say, don't know what machine you have or where you live, but if it get's below freezing, then yes, it's necessary.

Battery, disconnect or not? and should I store it in the garage by itself?

Disconnect, remove from boat, fully charge it, and store it in your closet at home. Periodically check it to make sure you maintain a full charge for the storage period.

Anything else that needs to be done?

Let us know what you got, where you live, heated garage or not, and we'll get you more info. However, StaBil is always a good idea for the gasoline while in storage, regardless of temperature or climate.

I just want to make sure I get everything done right... temps here are good, it was 82 wednesday so I'm not anticipating it too soon yet, but when the time comes I would love to know how to do it properly...

Don't worry, the Polaris group is tight, we wouldn't let you store it any other way!!!

Thanks everyone!
    Jared

+1
    Everything said so far is perfect.

If you are going out to ride one more time, then I would just add the stabil about ten minutes before you are done. My understanding has always been you want the tank as full as possible when you store, that way there is that much less room for moisture.

The idea is to get it circulated through the whole system, which takes five to ten minutes.

As for fogging, what Crazy said is best.

With your boat you are going to have to take off the air box, you need to be able to shoot the fogging oil right down each carb.

I was going to take some pictures of me fogging my skis yesterday but I didn't for some reason...darn

Great! it does get below freezing here in NC, and the ski will be stored outdoors (covered shed)... so how to do get antifreeze in the cooling system?

Jared

+1
    It was my understanding that the cooling systems were completely self draining so anti freeze wouldn't be required.

I have never put anti freeze in mine and I am in Wisconsin, which I assume gets a helluva lot colder than NC.

Crazy, your thougts on that one?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by absentx View Post
    It was my understanding that the cooling systems were completely self draining so anti freeze wouldn't be required.

I have never put anti freeze in mine and I am in Wisconsin, which I assume gets a helluva lot colder than NC.

Crazy, your thougts on that one?
    I know a lot of people don't run antifreeze and they don't seem to have any trouble. Most of the system will drain itself for the most part. What worries me is any little lines you might have such as pisser bypasses, stinger lines, anything beyond a flowcontrol valve... any type of small, little plumbing that could possibly rupture and fill your boat in the springtime, first ride out. It's just something that I feel I need to do, for me, for piece of mind. You never get 100% of the water out of the exhaust system either, ya know? I just feel better knowing it's protected. Antifreeze protects it from freezing, but it also carries anti-corrosive properties as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc011185 View Post
    so how to do get antifreeze in the cooling system?Jared
    Well, here's how I do it on the GPR...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13517

And I do the same thing with the Polaris' with this...

I pull the 3/4" line from the pump and hook her up!!! Another good idea is a bilge pump in a bucket of anti-freeze, or one of those little pumps for a drill as the others mentioned.

If all else fails, pull your pump feed line and hold it way up high with a funnel shoved in the end and let gravity do it's thing.

Always make sure you're running the engine though if you're pumping anything in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    I know a lot of people don't run antifreeze and they don't seem to have any trouble. Most of the system will drain itself for the most part. What worries me is any little lines you might have such as pisser bypasses, stinger lines, anything beyond a flowcontrol valve... any type of small, little plumbing that could possibly rupture and fill your boat in the springtime, first ride out. It's just something that I feel I need to do, for me, for piece of mind. You never get 100% of the water out of the exhaust system either, ya know? I just feel better knowing it's protected. Antifreeze protects it from freezing, but it also carries anti-corrosive properties as well.
    I hear ya....I really do, even though it might be self draining, it can't get everything out....

So, can you give us a quick run through on a simple anti freeze treatment to the cooling system?

If you do, I will let you in on some super cool custom stuf my pops an I are doing on the 785 boat!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information