Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

GP1200R vs FZR review

I had a GP1200R (my first ski) for two years. Now, with 150 hours, it was time to replace it.

Last year I rode an FZR and I was not impressed. That model had one annoying thing: the accelerator had some lag.

This year, with the Yamaha end of stock promotions, I had a good deal on a new FZR. After some thinking and forum reading, I bought it!

Now I can make a more informed comparation between both rides. Hope this can help the people which has doubts about going from a GPR to a FZR.

The acceleration is similar (it feels similar) on both skis. The FZR is faster about 7km/h on the top speed (GP1200R->100km/h FZR->107Km/h). On rough water the FZR is much faster (more stable). Fuel consumption is the same. Quality of construction is the same (engine is ok but the plastics are a crap). The FZR is much more comfortable.

The FZR engine noise is INCREDIBLE! When idling is very quiet but when you push the throttle it is great.

The reverse handle is bad. It should be more smooth than it is, but it does the work.

Fortunately my FZR does not have the throttle lag. It seems something changed (maybe my first impression was not correct).

After some adaptation of the rider to the machine, the turns on the FZR are more precise and easier than on the GPR. It takes some time, but after that, it is clear that the FZR is better on this matter.

Regarding wave jumping I don't have a final conclusion. I've never been a great wave jumper. I think the maximum height I jumped was about one meter (ride plate from the water).

On this videos I play around with both machines:

GPR:

FZR:

Same rider, different machines. You can see for yourself and take your conclusions.

The FZR is larger and heavier, and it feels like that, but in the end I can make the same thing I did with the GPR, with the added bonus of more speed on rough water and a much more comfortable ride.

Someone said on this forum that after you ride this bigger skis, there's no going back, and I definitely concur with that.

Your GP must have been modded heaps cause the difference in acceleration from my gp1300 and my FZR is nearly double well thats how it feels to me, The GP was better in the waves but i think thats a weight thing, the raising and lowering of the handle bars is awesome especially in the waves, dont know how you can say the reverse thing is bad you pul;l it up to reverse and push it back down to go forward what more could you want?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by trek_b View Post
    Regarding wave jumping I don't have a final conclusion. I've never been a great wave jumper. I think the maximum height I jumped was about one meter (ride plate from the water).
    I wouldn't recommend jumping big waves on the FZ hull anyway.
    We've seen some major cracking on here from that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I wouldn't recommend jumping big waves on the FZ hull anyway.
    We've seen some major cracking on here from that.
    I think this is very misleading.... there absolutly have been cracked skis out there but the significant MAJORTIY of nanoxcel skis have zero cracking issues. I have over 60 hours of wave jumping on the ocean with plenty of f*ck'd up landings and I have absolutly zero issues. My friends has a FZR and his has been fine too. I beat the piss out of my ski without one hiccup.

+1
    I wonder how many of those cracks are really from tightening the rear straps too tight on the trailer? After seeing several threads about the cracks -all in the area of the tie-downs- I don't tighten mine too tight anymore, just enough so it wont bounce or slide. I've also stopped wave jumping, just in case, but I did catch a lot of air a couple times before I stopped.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I think this is very misleading.... there absolutly have been cracked skis out there but the significant MAJORTIY of nanoxcel skis have zero cracking issues. I have over 60 hours of wave jumping on the ocean with plenty of f*ck'd up landings and I have absolutly zero issues. My friends has a FZR and his has been fine too. I beat the piss out of my ski without one hiccup.
    I'm with Mike... Don't use the tie-down hooks--I go to the FZS-equipped tow hook down each side with two ratchet straps.

But what do I know--I live on a lake.

+1
    I generally agree.

That is just how things go on here sometimes. A couple guys have issues, and then there is wide spread panic. I have never had issues either.

You really have to read between the lines on some of the reports on here and take it all with a grain of salt. Racers go out and beat the ever living piss out of their skis and don't have these issues. Then you've got some weekend riders who says it's an issue. Which opinion would you put more stock in?

+1
    Totally agree-Ive not put huge hours on mine yet, and I have had some major air, and a '20 foot off' from about a 12 foot high wave-no issues either-Im also convinced it's people ratcheting down too tight-no need for it folks.
    It's funny-first few times in big surf I was convinced something was going to give-engine mounts/steering/cowling etc as the ski feels and is heavier, and it's harder to change it's attidude in the air than with the gpr-but nothing! my confidence that all will stay together is growing I will do a barrel roll on it within the next 6 months -hopefully!------Im not the first tho-you tube-type fx barrel roll as a search.if somebody tells me hw to post a link-I'll do that!
    As for th op post about accelaration being about the same-absolutly no way-the fz is twice as quick out the hole as my slightly modded Gp1300R-let alone a 1200r!

+1
    "As for th op post about accelaration being about the same-absolutly no way-the fz is twice as quick out the hole as my slightly modded Gp1300R-let alone a 1200r!"

Just do a drag race with a GPR with a good pump (not suffering from cavitation) and tell me the results. Is it really two times?
    The 1200R and 1300R stock performance is the same (we did some drag races).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezzosoap View Post
    dont know how you can say the reverse thing is bad you pul;l it up to reverse and push it back down to go forward what more could you want?
    I say the reverse handle is not good. It should be smoother, but, has I said, it does the job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information