Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

Stock cooling questions............

Is there anything that can be done to the stock cooling to make it a bit more efficient? Id really like to retain the use of my thermostat. I read something a while back about drilling out a couple fittings. So they had a slightly larger ID for more water low. Just wondered if there was some small changes I could make versus buying a cooling kit. I not no big deal. But which kit is best or a stock IC ski anyway? I figured with my extra RPM's im spinning I better see about keeping it cool.

Blocking off the IC line on the 3 way in the back and adding a thruhull dedicated to the IC would not hurt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Blocking off the IC line on the 3 way in the back and adding a thruhull dedicated to the IC would not hurt.
    +1, and it won't change how you flush the ski. Just be aware that it will no longer flush the IC for you if you do this. You're a fresh water rider aren't you? I am too and I never flush my ski. No issues thus far.

+1
    Could you guys elaborate on what to block off just a bit? By adding the thru-hull dedicated to the IC do you mean at the rear of the ski? Possibly utilizing what used to be the old pisser feed hole at the nozzle??

Eliminate this fitting............ (Dans pic) Im guessing the line that goes from the end of the Y with the tiny hole feeds the IC? Then run the new line from the transom straight to the IC? That about right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Could you guys elaborate on what to block off just a bit? By adding the thru-hull dedicated to the IC do you mean at the rear of the ski? Possibly utilizing what used to be the old pisser feed hole at the nozzle??
    You have to get the water, for the dedicated IC line, from the pump one way or another. You can drill and tap your stock strainer plate and screw in a 90 fitting, then drill the transom and use a through-hull fitting to get the water into the ski, then either "T" into the IC line, or go all the way to the IC and disconnect the stock line, which will require you to block off the feed from it at the 4 way splitter under your rear bucket. Or instead of drilling and tapping your strainer plate you could use the "gay spray" and bring that water through the transom and into the IC.

This is kind of hard to type out what all you can do with it. Just give me a call later.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    You have to get the water, for the dedicated IC line, from the pump one way or another. You can drill and tap your stock strainer plate and screw in a 90 fitting, then drill the transom and use a through-hull fitting to get the water into the ski, then either "T" into the IC line, or go all the way to the IC and disconnect the stock line, which will require you to block off the feed from it at the 4 way splitter under your rear bucket. Or instead of drilling and tapping your strainer plate you could use the "gay spray" and bring that water through the transom and into the IC.

This is kind of hard to type out what all you can do with it. Just give me a call later.
    I think I get the idea here. Ill holler at ya tomorrow.

The fitting with the "A" by it is the one that gets eliminated im assuming. If I do run this dedicated line to my cooler. Will that be too much flow causing the IC to not work as well?

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    I think I get the idea here. Ill holler at ya tomorrow.

The fitting with the "A" by it is the one that gets eliminated im assuming. If I do run this dedicated line to my cooler. Will that be too much flow causing the IC to not work as well?
    Hitman explaining it in person is easier, but like Biz and Hitman have said, running a dedicated Cooling line to your IC should be a great cooling upgrade to start. That's all I'm running at the moment for my Riva IC, the rest of the cooling is stock. I experience zero heat soak right now. I will add the Riva cooling kit this winter, in preparation for next year's Mudbug Bath water

The "X" fitting as most of us refer to it, as you found in that diagram, labeled A, DOES NOT get eliminated. The other pic you posted of the small hole gets blocked off with a screw. I put a self tapping screw into that hole with some red loctite on it. It's not going anywhere, as that fitting is very hard plastic of some sort. Once that line is blocked off (it was the original IC cooling inlet line), you will have 3 lines running off the "X" fitting, your flush line and 2 other lines.

The Riva IC kit comes with a strainer tapped for a 90 fitting that runs a 1/2" line from the pump strainer, through the hull, directly up to the IC inlet. For comparison purposes, I run my IC outlet out the stock IC outlet fitting on the right side of the boat, and the flow is unreal, very strong, compared to the stock pissers on the left side of the boat that are for the engine/oil cooling.

The Riva cooling kit runs a "T" into that dedicated IC inlet cooling line and splits out to new fittings and lines to the Oil for additional cooling. The engine cooling lines are bigger as well.

+1
    What size is the line running to the IC? Is it a 3/8" from the weird X fitting on to the cooler?

+1
    What size is the line running to the IC? Is it a 3/8" from the weird X fitting on to the cooler?
    Hay Jared, I checked my transom and my siphon fitting is definitely capped off. I will look and see what size the through hull fitting is tomorrow. Not sure what the stock IC line size is as I no longer have it. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Hay Jared, I checked my transom and my siphon fitting is definitely capped off. I will look and see what size the through hull fitting is tomorrow. Not sure what the stock IC line size is as I no longer have it. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
    Alright. Just trying to figure out what size that line was so I can order a Y. Not close to my ski right now either. Keep wondering if I can use that existing through hull. Would be nice anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information