951 engine wont run

I have a 951 engine i am trying to got goin. It has been bored out to a 1020. It has heaps of spark and fuel. I tryes to run on a rear ocasion for a second but genrally back fires at the most. The carbs were set with (90) lows 1.5 turns out and (170)hi. Then treid (85) low and (165)hi thinking it might be a jetting problem. Could it still be to rich. what else could be worth looking at?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if you are back firing, you may want to check the timing. you could have the mag cup misaligned.

is this a common problem, out comes the motor i guess. Is this fault obvious once you pull of the ignition cover?

+1
    You may be able to get lucky and backtrace what you did and where you may have gone wrong' thats what I'm in the process of doing. Last resort---rebuild motor, well at least in my case I've spent many hours trying to diagnose my problem, probably would have been better in my case to start fresh. Its' like a PC i guess, sometimes its just better to reformat after tinkering all day.

Quote Originally Posted by badjoka View Post
    You may be able to get lucky and backtrace what you did and where you may have gone wrong' thats what I'm in the process of doing. Last resort---rebuild motor, well at least in my case I've spent many hours trying to diagnose my problem, probably would have been better in my case to start fresh. Its' like a PC i guess, sometimes its just better to reformat after tinkering all day.

I have done some homework and I really think I have an electrical timing problem. I highly dought that its machnical but i am not ruling it out. I believe that the replacement engine i have has a different coil and pick up, so i am yet to check and change the part. My old engine is a 2000model 951 and engine i have fitted a 99 model 951. I think they are different part numbers. Have to check, when i get my next days off. Bring on the weekend.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    same motor...its the 98's that you have to worry about. different charging system i believe

Sounds like your cups 180 degrees off.

I had basically the same problem on my 951 when I first put it back together. My mag cup was off 180 degrees as said above. Plenty of spark and fuel. I didnt have to take my motor out, just my pipe off. I was able to take the motor and tilt it up and remove the mag housing and do it in the hull. After flipping the mag cup, fired right up and ran good.

Thread Information