Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Life is Supercharged (without ceramics)
    +1

Need help installing XS intercooler in 05 RXP with stock exhaust

Hi Guys

i just got my XS intercooler off a forum member with all of the tubing but i quickly realized that my hull was a bit too busy and it would not fit without removing some stock parts.

I currently have a riva 3" intake but the stock exhaust is untouched.

I tried removing some hoses and it looks like the exhaust resonator and hose from the waterbox to the resonator are getting in the way.

I would like to know what is suggested in this scenario, i have been searching the forum for a bit and it seems that some members in my situation have removed the resonator and replaced it with a 8-9" 2.5" stainless pipe and left everything else the same.

I would like to know what else i need to buy for it since i am planning to install it this week.

Is there a guide to install this intercooler? the hoses seem to also be too short from the original IC connections so im not sure how to extend those either or the couplings needed. If anyone has a list of parts that would be really helpful + the material they need to be made of.

This is what i have on the list
    1. 6-10 feet of 3/4 rubber hose
    2. couple of 3/4 plastic 90deg couplers for hose extensions + hose clamps
    3. 3/4" strainer/filter
    4. 9" stainless pipe to replace resonator (does the 2005 rxp need an 8 or 9" pipe? i need to know for when i order it because i will ask them to flare it at the exhaust shop.
    5. 90 deg alloy to make IC bracket

Please let me know what to add to the above

Thanks in advance
    C

+1
    You need a free flow pipe in place of the resonator. The ic usually sits right where it's at bro.

+1
    On the hose. Dont forget you no longer need the long hose going to the I/C so you reuse that.

+1
    im pretty sure this is how it works but i could be wrong

1. the original long hose was the water IN, short hose to the exhaust manifold was water out. So water went from the rear of the jet to the IC, then to the exhaust

2. So now on the XS does it matter which side I use as in and out ?

Im thinking of doing the following for the new setup flow.
    Water comes in from back of jet, through a 3/4" strainer then into XS IC on the wider end
    Water comes out of XS IC on the narrow end (end of jet ski) and then use a long hose and connect it all the way to the engine exhaust manifold.

Does that make sense? I cant seem to find any advice on this so thats why im double checking.

So far ive been working on the jet to take off the parts so i can install everything.
    1. got out the VTS
    2. removed 3" intake
    3. removed stock resonator and stock tubes, all the clamps were rusted too.

Now im just waiting to find out about the free flow tube and how to get the IC tubed up.

Im also trying to add in a way to flush the system a lot easier so i dont have anymore issues with freezing etc. But i dont even think i need to, maybe if i just remove all of the hoses going to the IC and pump pressurized air through them and then the same for the exhaust (with the engine running). I just dont want things to freeze over the winter which is maybe what caused my stock IC to crack. I used to just flush it with the pink RV stuff but it gets very cold here like -30C.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

+1
    This is docksides setup. You want to end up with something similiar to this bro.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y78...r/DSC00375.jpg

You can the pipes and couplers from cxracing.com fairly cheap.

+1
    i already have the couples for the IC, i actually got everything complete from mrbtd

i just need little stuff for the water lines.

BTW why does everyone have a shut off valve on the water inlet? Is that for winterizing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxglobal View Post
    i already have the couples for the IC, i actually got everything complete from mrbtd

i just need little stuff for the water lines.

BTW why does everyone have a shut off valve on the water inlet? Is that for winterizing?
    Its in case you ever have to get towed and pulled above 15mph with the engine off. Its to stop water from being injested and I dont have one.

I dont plan on having my ski towed lol.

Use brass fittings not plastic. Run the water in from the pump to the water strainer (mount right above the vts) then from the water strainer to the back of the IC. Then go from the front of the IC to the exhaust manifold water in. Remove the sound suppression as needed to fit the IC into the hull, suggest using aluminum pipe for the exhaust VS steek from the muffler shop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stickshift69 View Post
    Use brass fittings not plastic. Run the water in from the pump to the water strainer (mount right above the vts) then from the water strainer to the back of the IC. Then go from the front of the IC to the exhaust manifold water in. Remove the sound suppression as needed to fit the IC into the hull, suggest using aluminum pipe for the exhaust VS steek from the muffler shop.
    im getting the free flow tube so i dont need the pipe for the exhaust, ive heard it would have issues at lower rpm around 3000-4000 with a lot of noise so hopefully the free flow will get rid of that.

So when you said back of the IC do you mean the narrower side (no air tube holes). SO water goes IN to the IC at the side where there are no air tube connections and OUT to the exhaust manifold where the air tube connections are ?

BTW since you are Canadian, Ontario may be different but where would i be able to find those strainers? I tried home depot and didnt have much luck. Only place i found them was ebay.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice
    C

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    It is possible to have the XS in with the stock exhaust, with resonator. It's REALLY tight and things need trimmed, but it is possible. I found the silicone tubes for the XS and with a lot of work it all came out great........Now, this is my first post in a LOOOONG time cause I blew teh motor a while ago (dropped valve) and then had a couple kids(you know the story). But know, it is possible if you don't want to modify the exhaust. I don't like the sound of the free flow and really liked the "sleeper" effect the stock exhaust gave me.

Sleeplessinms on this board was a great help to me.(I don't know who's active and who isn't anymore)

Sean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information