Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 XP running like chit, question on removing the carbs.

Hello, I have a 2002 XP that I have been using 3-5 times per week for the whole summer without any issues whatsoever. On my last trip out the lake was rough so I stayed out longer then I usually do since I was enjoying the waves. The gas gauge got down into the red, which I have never let it go that low before, and I noticed the engine missed a few times and started to run like crap. I then idled back to the marina and pulled it out of the water, I did not switch over to reserve.

Fast forward to 4 days later I filled it up and headed to the marina, started in the parking lot and it seemed to idle but did sound a little rougher then usual, non the less I dropped in the water and idled out to the lake which takes about 5-7 mins. Once on the lake I grabbed the throttle and it bogged, RPM's barely climbed, I then relased the throttle immediately and it sputtered and stalled out. It started back up right away and it did the same bogging when I pulled the throttle. I idled back to the marina and pulled it out.

At home I checked the fuel filter for water or crud and it looked clean. I checked the plugs and I got a strong spark from both of them. I pulled the raves and cleaned them, when I put them back in and run the engine on the hose for about 5 mins pulling throttle twice. I then pulled the raves again, the front one is covered in a oil and gas mix and the rear one looks too clean, still shiny.

I suspect maybe one carb fuel filter is clogged so I want to remove them to inspect and clean. Now I am a mechanical Engineer and I work on all of my cars with no issues but I find the space and angle to remove the carbs frustrating. Do you ever remove the exhaust section above the carbs for more working room or just work around it with mirrors and akward angles. It seems like it will be a real pain to disconnect reconnect the cables going ot the carb working with the pipe in place.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

+1
    Anothing to try before you go to this trouble is try the reserve switch. You may have just picked up trash around the pick up tube for your main line. At least that is my problem. I have a 96 GSX runs great in reserve but crap on the main. Going pull tank and clean in the off season.

No dont pull the pipe to remove the carbs.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pulling that pipe is opening pandora's box. Very tricky to get them on right and sealed. If you fail, water enters the engine, with the expected results. Carbs nearly as tricky but not quite.

tip, lay plastic wrap in hull to catch crap you drop. Write note to come back and thank me later.

First, Thanks for all of the advise posted so far, I was able to keep my BMW running perfectly for the last 14 years and 320,000 km with the help of a enthusiasts forum and the factory repair manual, I hope to do the same with the seadoo.

Well Im pretty pissed off right now. I had to go out of town for work so I decided to drop it off for repair at my marina only becasue they said they could have it running the same day. I just drove by there and they are closed but my ski hasnt moved since I dropped it off at 8 am on Monday.

I wish people would do what they say they are going to do when they say they are going to do it and we wouldnt have a problem. Im freakin fumin right now since they sold me on the we will fix it quickly bs!

tomorrow morning as soon as they open I am driving there and taking it home, I rather work on it in my garage and take months to fix it then let them work on it at this point. I will be back on here for more advice if I cant get it going by cleaning/inspecting the carbs, fuel pickups and checking the selector switch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    tip, lay plastic wrap in hull to catch crap you drop. Write note to come back and thank me later.
    So true! I usually end up having to attach a hose to my shop vac to find/grab the damn dropped screws/washers.

I consider my haul my second tool box, just look in there you never know what you might find!

should for sure check the fuel selector switch, ive gone down low on the main tank, and switch to reserve....filled back up, put on the main tank and it ran like crap...went to reserve and it was fine...

carbs are a PITA to get out, just take your time and you can do it without taking off the pipe....i get at them from the opposite side from where the carbs sit

+1
    Did you check compression?

I removed and inspected the pickup in the tank, it was clean. I removed the hoses and linkages from the carbs then started removing the 4 bolts holding the carbs on. I realised when I got to the rear carb, top bolt that I didnt have the right length allen key to get it out without jamming against the hull. It was hot here and I was covered in sweat baking in my garage. I admitted defeat and threw it back together. Oddly I ran it on the hose for 5 minutes and the bogging seemed to be gone but still didnt sound exactly right.

I dont quit anything in life but damn, working in the heat and tight space broke me! I took my ski to a authorized dealer, they are going to remove the carbs, clean them and do a full test. That failing hopefully they will think to try the selector switch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information