RPM wont run over 6000 waterbox maybe?

Hey guys I have a 04 GPR 1300 and was running great then started to get a miss to it and now wont pull over about 5800-6000 rpm.

It was pulling right just over 7000 rpm before this happened.

At first the ski was missing a little almost like the plugs were a little fouled or maybe it had sucked in a little water maybe then it got worse it did not clean out.

The ski has the holeshot mod done and it was shooting up to rpm and running flawless before this happened although the rpms were not as high as they should be at wot.

The ski will idle fine but almost it like you have your hand over the exhaust when you hold it wide open AND it miss fires a bit. Its not a smooth bog at 5800rpm its like a bog while hiting a rev limiter kind of. The miss is pretty consistent like a rev limiter.

could the WATERBOX have come apart? Is this a symptom of the waterbox going bad?

The ski has great compression and I replaced the plugs while I was on the water. Also I checked for leaks and there are no leaks.

I ran it with the seat off to make sure the gas valves are opening and they are but when it has the miss fire the shut a little then pop back open.

Any help I would really appreciate

+1
    I don't think that there is enough information that we can really help a whole lot.... at this point it is just guessing.

Anything could happen including the waterbox coming apart, but it is not as likely as other things happening. For instance if you broke your catalytic converter and the parts went into the bottom of the stinger and into the waterbox, then yes you could loose that many rpms. Your engine cannot breathe with parts in the exhaust system.

Based upon what you say about the engine, it does not seem to be the problem, although you leave me with the impression that you are not using a very accurate tach. A 100-200rpm problem is very different from a 1200rpm problem.

Is there anything else you could tell us?

Well there is no cat converter I have a d plate. The tach is a tiny tach so it should be pretty accurate.

All the gaskets were just replaced in the exhaust I really think its something to do with the exhaust I am going to try to remove the waterbox in the next few days.

Will there be parts rattling or a for sure sign that the waterbox is bad once I take it out?

thanks guys!

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1
    03/04 where power valves correct? If yes this kinda sounds like a power valve problem. It does seem wierd.

+1
    If there are parts in the waterbox there is a good chance that they will rattle, but just cause it rattles does not mean that the waterbox is bad. Use a water hose or air to get parts out by blowing backwards, then reinstall.

Have you cleaned and inspected your powervalves lately? Are you certain that they open all the way?

they are riva gas valves and I have checked them they are opening and closing easily I am going to try to get the waterbox out one night after work this week and see if I can see anything. it almost feels like the powervalves are stuck down so that was the first thing I checked. Its like it wont get that "on the pipe" rev anymore.

Thread Information