Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what do ya make of these plugs?

plugs are numbered. also oil injected with yama 2W.
    milled head, riva FA, efi controller 5516. wash looks good, pistons are kinda clean, I can see the numbers 60T 10 on the domes...

hmmmm, no opinions?

+1
    Christ ,how many hrs you have on those plugs...you had them in a very short time?

PR- FWIW, I don't even bother reading plugs, as I've posted before. They really need to have the threads cut off so you can see the base of the insulator, to properly read them (too much of a hassle with a rec ski). Any idling, and your readings will be off. Wash is the best way, since it tells you the piston temps, which is what you're really concerned with.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    PR- FWIW, I don't even bother reading plugs, as I've posted before. They really need to have the threads cut off so you can see the base of the insulator, to properly read them (too much of a hassle with a rec ski). Any idling, and your readings will be off. Wash is the best way, since it tells you the piston temps, which is what you're really concerned with.

I agree the best way to evaluate is the piston wash BUT then again unless you suspect a compression problem with one of cyl or unusal build up on the plugs. ...its a hassle to pull off the head and buy a new gasket too...In a similar thread I posted on spark plug evaluation,I never read in research that the spark plug reading can only be determined in short spurts and no idling like you commented on...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    I agree the best way to evaluate is the piston wash BUT then again unless you suspect a compression problem with one of cyl or unusal build up on the plugs. ...its a hassle to pull off the head and buy a new gasket too...In a similar thread I posted on spark plug evaluation,I never read in research that the spark plug reading can only be determined in short spurts and no idling like you commented on...just saying
    Trust me...You CANNOT accurately tune a 2 stroke by riding it around at varying throttle positions, idle it back to the ramp, run it on the trailer, then pull the plugs out when you get home and "read" them. They will NOT show what was happening at WOT. If you want to read plugs, you have to run the boat wide open, then pull the lanyard , and pull the plugs. This way, they will show exactly what was happening at max load. Anything else is incorrect.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post

Agree 100%!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Dave, you don't need to pull the head on the 12/1300 motors to check the wash...

+1
    I use a snap on boroscope. i can see everything perfect. my pistons have ZERO carbon on them, anyone thinkin im too rich? lol

well, I can see the numbers on the piston tops. I thought it would be all gunked from using yamalube, but they are actually pretty clean... these plugs have been in for over 20+ hours...maybe more... I can see down into the bore with an flexible wand LED.
    there is hardly any carbon...looks like what was there is being washed off...
    kinda got a coffee color to them, but numbers are visible

+1
    number2 looks the best to me just dont want any white or chalky wide open kill is best for high speed setting a hard stab of gas on trailer in water tells alot no surging and run it works for me a good ear for pre ignition is very good also just a thought

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information