Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    my ski has thrust vectoring......does yours??? killcraft's Avatar

my 785 hates waves!!!!

2nd time at the virginia beach shore break. we had 6-8ft swells and i was jumping it. well i went to turn around and caught a wave broad side. it fliped the ski engine flooded. so for the next four hours we tried to tow the ski out in these large waves no luck!!! so as it was getting dark we dragged the ski up the beach to the high water mark. anchored it and came back this morning turned the ski upside down got most of the water out put new plugs in and long story short i got it started!!! but she would only run about 20mph (according to MFD) so let me ask you guys this my gut says to pull the head and go from there or what? i know i cant let it sit long but it does start and run but i assume there must still be water in the crank..... so where do i go from here????

+1
    Jeeshhh...not sure where to start here. So it sat on the beach all night with water in it?

Does it feel like it has good power or is it a dog now?

After you run it for a bit what do the plugs look like?

When you say "flooded the engine" you mean with water or gas? I strongly assume you mean water based on your story. Normally I would say that the ski flipping shouldn't alone cause water to get in the engine, but in six to eight foot swells I guess anything can happen.

If there is water in there you need to be running it now (actually as soon as you got to the beach, but I realize you were probably in a pretty tough spot by that point). I hydrolocked my 1050 about a month ago and was able to quickly realize what was going on and I got the engine started and got it dried out. I was letting my inexperienced uncle and nephew ride it (stupid on my part I know) and they fell off and in their quest to get back on they tipped it this way and that and basically filled the engine with water.

If you pull the plugs and spin the engine does water come flying out?

Anyways, time is of the essence! If there is water in there, get it out!

+1
    get it running and fog the SHIT out of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It probrably cracked the reeds from the water pull the flame arrestors and see if fuel is spitting up out of the carbs
    Open the elect box and pull the plug on the stator cover to air that out too

+1
    Open up your cdi box and check it. it may have gotten some moisture in it. check the trim motor too for water. that little motor in there rusts outs. maybe even the stator got wet under the cover there// saltwater is very corrosive and can destroy everything.. i would give everything a good cleaning and spray silicon spray everywhere.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ...spray silicon spray everywhere.
    No silicone spray inside the engine, just on the outside. After it is rinsed down and dried off, of course.

Salt water sitting overnight is going to be a high risk for internal engine corrosion. Do what you can, but the odds are getting worse by the hour until you can get the engine dried out internally and then well fogged with fogging oil.

After that, pull the carbs and intakes and examine the reeds for damage.

If compression check looks suspicious, pull the heads for a visual check of the pistons and cylinders. Many on here would pull the heads anyways, even if compression seems OK.

Good luck from here.

+1
    I didnt mean IN the engine.lol I figured he would use fogging oil for that. diaphrams in the carbs may have water behind them also..

ok all good stuff mind you it took about 20 minutes to get back to the ramp and i ran it the whole time. ill fog it and pull the carbs though......

+1
    check your compression just to see if anything changed. if you knew the numbers from before, you can compare them and see if anything changed.. theres a reason for only going 20 mph now.

+1
    you might also have water in your fuel or oil tank. need to completely clean the engine out

ok so i fogged the crap out of it the plugs look fantastic and i have 120 psi in all cylinders and it sounds strong when it runs i think im going to take it to the river and give it another test.........seems to me like i might have gotten the water out if it does the same thing then ill know i have to get more in depth with it. what do you guys think good idea or should i just tear it apart now??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information