1998 XP MPEM help

OK i have a 98 xp and i have NO gauges no beep nothing. But heres the funny part. It still starts and runs. can anyone point me to why this is happening. And please dont post replace the mpem i am wondering if it can be fixed or what might be the problem

Well I guess you obviously checked the battery and fuses to make sure that you are getting 12 volts to your electronics. I would then look towards the Key or the D.E.S.S. post. If you have a bad key or D.E.S.S. post then it would be like you are not trying to activate your ski at all. To check a key is easy, get another key or use your key on another ski and see if you get those Beeps, you get them whether or not the key is coded to that ski. To check the D.E.S.S. requires some electrical knowledge and the ability to use a spare Post. That one you might want to have a local shop take a look at.

Ya i tryed another key no beeps and it wouldn't start. put the coded key on and it fired right up. Im not bad at electronics . has any one eles had this problem. I even tryed another mpem and still no gauges or beeps but the oil light came on. are there any tech posting on wireing problems.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    well since you don't want to think it;s the mpem..sound slike the infocenter uage is shorted.neraly as pricey as the mpem however....

Quote Originally Posted by darkside346 View Post
    Ya i tryed another key no beeps and it wouldn't start. put the coded key on and it fired right up. Im not bad at electronics . has any one eles had this problem. I even tryed another mpem and still no gauges or beeps but the oil light came on. are there any tech posting on wireing problems.

Have you looked at the schematic? Here is what I think. Gauges need 12v and ground just to power up. All of the gauges share the same power source and ground. Then they receive a signal to change info. If you look at the VTS on the schematic you will see 4 wires that come from the mpem. Look at the color codes. I think the PU-GY and BK-GY are your power wires. In the manual it says the other gauges get power on the purple and blk. It just starts at the vts and goes in then out to the next gauge then in and out to the next and so on. Your buzzer problem may or may not be related. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    well since you don't want to think it;s the mpem..sound slike the infocenter uage is shorted.neraly as pricey as the mpem however....
    No one wants to hear mpem but when everything on the ski practically runs through the dang thing you just have to get used to hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    No one wants to hear mpem but when everything on the ski practically runs through the dang thing you just have to get used to hearing it.
    lol thanks Mr thats the funnyest thing i have heard all day. The only reason i not looking at the mpem is due to the fact that i tryed another mpem off the same ski and had the same resualts, im wondering if its a wireing issue but i cant seem to find any info on gauge voltage.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    try the gague of the other ski..if you are not seeing anything with two mpems..testing the guage is the next logical step. I assume your mpem in the other ski was good? ( dash working?)

Quote Originally Posted by darkside346 View Post
    lol thanks Mr thats the funnyest thing i have heard all day. The only reason i not looking at the mpem is due to the fact that i tryed another mpem off the same ski and had the same resualts, im wondering if its a wireing issue but i cant seem to find any info on gauge voltage.

I already know you tried another mpem. I posted my opinion above and that was to trace the circuit to see why you have no power to the gauges (bad wire/connection) or a bad gauge. 12v is what you will find powering the gauges. Its all over in the manual in several places (electrical / Instruments and accessories) . You just have to read the entire section and compare it to the schematic to make any sense of it.

As far as my comment on no on likes to hear mpem. Think about it, it's probably the most expensive electrical component on these things. Everyone is hoping for the cheap fix and it wasn't offered up as a suggestion. I gave mine already.

Thread Information