Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2009 rxt-is suspension broken already

I've brought a brand new ext-is 09 model this year. I've put around 50 hours on it. The rear suspension snapped. So right under the seat at the back the 3 bolts broke and snapped the whole rear end of the suspension. The only thing holding it is the front now. I've jumped a few waves, but nothing too serious. They better warranty that thing. Tomorrow i will take it to the dealer and see what they say. Shall i contact BRP and see what they can do. How can they sell machines like that and is so easy to break. I've had a couple of things changed already and i've only had it for few months. Would BRP do anything about it? Right under the rear seat where the suspension is hold to the hull. That is where it broke.

+1
    That's why I think having all their 2011 Jetski line up with break is a bad Idea...Don't re-invent the wheen..if it works, it works, leave the reverse and keep costs down.

And about your problem, I am sure they will warranty it. It's actually pretty common, last time I went to the dealer I saw a couple in there with suspension issues too.

Good luck.

Banned User
    +1
    Sorry to hear of your problem, I've never actually heard of the rear pivot letting go, thats quite amazing as actually very little force is transfered through that joint other than push/pull bucking action...

Tomorrow I'm releasing the Aussie solution to the suspension issues, at least at the front 1/2!
    So with Jerry's blessing you'll see it on the site... No more shock blow outs and no more coils turning into bananas and no more remote gas reservoirs leaking!

Here is the little spill, photos are being done today (we've done over 80 hours of testing now):

What is included in the package:

1 x Stainless steel, laser cut, TIG welded suspension bracket.
    This bracket allows for a further 1 inch of travel on the suspension.

1 x Shock absorber replacement. This shock absorber is rated far beyond what it will be used for
    in the sea environment. If its performance envelope was on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the maximum of what it can endure for extended periods of time and 1 being not used at all, the shock works in about the 6 to 7 mark. Allowing for confidence in the product and a replacement guarantee for failure (In the event that it does happen). This shock allows for further 2 inches (although your ski will not travel a full 2 inches further). Another design flaw of the OEM shock is that it has a tendency to bottom out under heavy loads/impacts and this causes internal damage within the shock. The shock body is anodized aluminum.

2 x Stainless bolt replacements for shock. The shock bolts of standard OEM size, but I am including new bolts for peace of mind and also in case the old bolts in your seadoo are damaged.

1 x Spring steel spring. This spring is NOT a replacement for the OEM spring. It is made to aid the original spring. As both GTX Limited and RXT have different spring rates, it is used to improve the original ride characteristics. The other benefits in fitting a 'spring helper' is it works similar to a coil over. The spring load is shared and is central. This spring will also help prevent the OEM spring from deforming (Known problem and is documented in the BRP manuals for sprung Sea-doo's). The spring comes unpainted. I recommend that you use marine grade grease on the entire spring to coat the outside. It will not be exposed to 'washing' with salt water and should outlast the ski if used in such a manner. It maybe beneficial to powder-coat the spring (Should be easy enough to do locally anywhere)

1 x Soft compression spring. Not many people will know that the spring tower in the OEM setup is divided into 2 springs using a double-U joint. The 'soft spring' can be replaced with our 20% firmer spring or you can use the OEM 'soft' spring. This will alter the initial shock absorption and from our testing is better fitted when deck weight is over 100kg.

2 x 5mm Laser cut stainless lock rings for spring helper.

2 x Marine grade bolt guides/shims

2 x Marine grade spherical joints

4 x Machined brass washers for shock bolts

The only part that maybe required to be purchased from a dealer is the OEM spring. This is dependent on how worn your spring is. After installation of this kit, the OEM spring is better protected from damage and should not deform unless rusted out. Usually this is not a required purchase unless obvious damage is noted in the ride.

Tools required:

-Ratchet with 10mm, 13mm, 19mm socket attachments.
    -10mm, 13mm, 19mm spanners
    -Ratchet extensions/swivel.
    -Gaffer tape (for holding the 'accordion' diaphragm in place until bolts are located.)
    -High lift hoist or 3 persons capable of lifting the top deck off the ski
    -Other tools that MAYBE required: Dielectric grease, cable ties for tie of OEM cables and other common tools.

Mechanical knowledge required:

-If you can change disc brakes/suspension components/oils/spark plugs and so forth on a motor vehicle, you should have no problem with installation.

Questions and answers:

Q. Is there any added weight with this product over the OEM setup?
    A. Yes. The product was designed for added robustness and longevity. The total added weight is approx. 2kg.

Q. How long will this item last?
    A. There should be no need for further replacement of parts unless used for extended periods of time in very rough conditions (Talking 100 hours+ in heavy swell jumping). It will outlast the OEM setup by far. All parts are available individually for existing customers. The shock is the only 'wear' item and is approx. 30% cheaper than an OEM shock but should outlast your jetski.

Q. Can I return to the OEM setup?
    A. Yes, there is no problem with returning to the OEM setup. Everything is designed not to damage other parts or for modification of existing mounting points etc.

Q. Can I 'Mix and match' OEM parts with this kit?
    A. Yes you can. But the OEM shock can only be used on the OEM bracket and the shock from this kit can only be used with the bracket from this kit. The parts that can be 'mixed and matched' is only the spring components. 2 additional springs are included in the kit and are 'optional' installations but are highly recommended.

Q. How will this setup 'feel'?
    A. Depend on what parts you fit, if you use the whole package (as intended) you should feel a slightly 'firmer' feel to the shock absorbsion. The shock absorbtion is progressive, so more resistance is met as the impacts work their way through the shock. This means you have practically zero chance of bottoming out the shock - Which is major downfall of the OEM setup - bottoming out. The OEM shock absorbsion curve was closely followed and a comparison graph can be sent to those interested (Sorry, I will not give this information away unless purchase is made - Please understand we have put a lot of RnD into this and do not wish to share this information with everyone). You can reduce some of the firmness by not installing the additional spring. This will leave the setup much like the OEM and it maybe just as prone to 'spring bends' if used in this way (Although the shock from the kit should last just as long as intended- Over hundreds of hours of use)

Q. My shock setup has a reservoir attached, will this be removed?
    A. Yes, the gas reservoir can be removed and you won't see any more 'blow outs'. Unfortunately BRP elected to use a 3 stage combination shock with more moving parts than what is required. The models with reservoirs attached will see the most benefit and won't see any substantial weight increase using this setup.

Q. Can I do this installation at home? What is required?
    A. Yes you can do this at home. Full instructions are provided and illustrated. You will require access to the internet to access some of the material. The tools required are listed above.

Q. Why is the OEM setup poorly designed?
    A. It is not poorly designed, it is just not made for 'all conditions'. With use in ocean swells or even jumping say with your wife/partner on with you, you are adding additional stresses to the suspension components. Spend sometime on jetski forums and you will find there is many cases of where either the suspension spring or the suspension shock is damaged beyond repair under what many consider 'normal' use.

Q. Is this cheaper than replacing worn components with OEM parts at a dealer?
    A. In parts cost alone, Yes if purchasing at retail prices. (So why would you go back to OEM?- Many other upgraded and better quality items are included in this package)

Q. How many hours of testing and how many breakages have you seen?
    A. I managed to break my own OEM shock within 15 hours of use. Thats when I started looking at replacements and started designing. I broke a further 2 shocks (Non OEM) before finding an 'unbreakable' combination from a reputable source. The amount of testing exceeds 75 hours of ski use and approx. 15 shock replacements. I worked with a well known shock engineer in Australia to manufacture the whole kit. Our expertees are in off-road sand racing which is much like the fluid travel over water.

Q. Are full instructions included?
    A. Yes. Including pictures/diagrams/videos.

Q. Will this affect my warranty?
    A. Yes. Speak to your dealer and refer to your local laws regarding warranties. This package is produced as 'after market' parts. It is recommended that you wait until after your warranty expires to fit this package.

Q. How long will this process take?
    A. Dealerships allow 1 hour for top deck removal and replacement. In my experience this needs to be doubled if doing alone and where extra care is taken. Allow approx. 30 mins for removal of the old setup and replacement with the new setup. I find I always take a look at other components while I have the top deck off and usually perform at least an oil filter change while I have the deck off. This adds 10 mins. Best estimate approx. 3 hours for intermediates or 4.5 hours for novice.

When purchasing this item:

1. I will need your ride weight (You? You and your partner?) etc.
    2. Your riding style (Jumping 4 foot crests? Jumping 6 foot crests? Closed circuit racing? General ocean adventuring?)

The more information you provide, the better suited the package will be, some alterations to shock rates can be made to suit, otherwise a standard rate will be used that has been well tested for most conditions.

Please included this information in check out.

Depending on stock, some items may require an additional 2 week manufacturing/handling time. As most components are custom built/tested. At the time of posting this advertisement, all items are IN STOCK.

So i went to the dealership today and all of the people came out to see what was wrong. Even the owner was like holy shit i've never seen it break like this in my life. I think i will need to call brp and give them shit. Get my $$$ back and ask them for reimburished. I think i am out of this season. I might be getting a new jet ski if anything. Hopefully i can talk to them. Anyone have the # for Canada. I tried to call the 819 # but i can never talk to a representative. The service for BRP is very bad. Anyone have a direct # that i can call and complain or file a report. I live in Canada so us # is no good for me.

Banned User
    what dealership do you use in Canada?

I brought the machine at quinns marina, but i service the machine at snow city because i live right by there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpx2008 View Post
    So i went to the dealership today and all of the people came out to see what was wrong. Even the owner was like holy shit i've never seen it break like this in my life. I think i will need to call brp and give them shit. Get my $$$ back and ask them for reimburished. I think i am out of this season. I might be getting a new jet ski if anything. Hopefully i can talk to them. Anyone have the # for Canada. I tried to call the 819 # but i can never talk to a representative. The service for BRP is very bad. Anyone have a direct # that i can call and complain or file a report. I live in Canada so us # is no good for me.
    Why do you want to call BRP? The dealer hasn't done anything bad yet has he?

BRP's answer is going to be deal with the dealer. They aren't going to be giving you a new ski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    BRP's answer is going to be deal with the dealer. They aren't going to be giving you a new ski
    +1, forget BRP; the dealer who sold you that ski should stand behind it and help you get it repaired under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    +1, forget BRP; the dealer who sold you that ski should stand behind it and help you get it repaired under warranty.
    +1. You'll never get anyone on the phone at BRP.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lolzer View Post
    Q. Why is the OEM setup poorly designed?
    A. It is not poorly designed, it is just not made for 'all conditions'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information