Thread: 01 xp, no spark

01 xp, no spark

Ive got and 01 xp with some mods but no electrical mods. The ski has been running good all summer and a few weeks ago I fouled a plug on the water. I was alone and had no spares so I had to ride back to the ramp. I put new plugs in it when I got home and it fired right up and seemed to run like normal. I wasn't able to ride for a few weeks and I went to start it the other day and nothing. Checked the spark with an inline spark tester and nothing. The spark tester is working from checking on another motor that runs. Last night checking all my connections I got a little bit of spark and the ski tried to start. Then nothing again. All the grounds on the mag cover are cleaned and good metal contact. I also cut the plug wires back 1/4 inch as recommended. I have checked the ohms resistance on the spade terminal of the coil as the service manual shows and that is fine. My batter is fully charged to 12.90 volts after trying to start it today, was 13.1. I am really lost and would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    and I went to start it the other day and nothing. Checked the spark with an inline spark tester and nothing. The spark tester is working from checking on another motor that runs. Last night checking all my connections I got a little bit of spark and the ski tried to start.
    Starter turns the engine over as it would normally? I had a similar problem, little red wire (not related to little red riding hood) in the electrical box was corroded, changed it and voila! Probably not the cure your looking for but thats muy experiecne with it.

Yes the motor cranks over normally. I checked all my electrical connections in the electric box was clean. My black electrical box inside looks brand new. None of the terminals have any corrosion.

Any more idea's to try or check out? I am really stuck on this one. Thanks again

+1
    Are your coils being earthed properly as it relies on a single bracket making contact with the coils.

+1
    I think you may have to go thru the shop manual and check each component induvidually till you find the weak link in the chain. Don't forget to shake the wires a bit as you test them to look for shorts. Wish I wasn't stating the obvious but I'll also probably be in your shoes one day

may not be your fix...but a buddy of mine has an older super jet, the engine will try to start, but the spark is really really weak, so it wont get running. He replaced the switch on the handle bars, and now it starts fine. something with the connections up there, really strange. This was explained to me, and i was half listening, but for whatever reason it worked. All other connections were great, plugs were brand new, replaced that switch and now it starts no problem.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't have any time to work on it today as I was really busy working all day. I am going to check everything piece by piece just looking to see if anyone had a similar issue with a good starting point or some simple tips for a conclusion.

Surf, I am not sure what you mean "a single bracket making contact with the coils". All my connections inside the front electric box are strong and look brand new. I have 2 coils and they are mounted separately from one another and they are both bolted in.

+1
    They are both bolted onto a single bracket that has two earth eye fittings on one coil that go back out through the waterproof electrical connector of the black box. If your coil ,coils are not earthed to the bracket properly you get no spark. I just had a 2000 that had a small amount of rust on one coil and wouldn't fire at all.might not be your problem but something to check.
    Just another thought you could run another earth to the coils to test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2880.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	212913  

Its an old thread but needs to be updated.

The ski is fixed and runs great, pickup mount in the mag housing was broken. Put a new one in and runs great.

Thanks for all the help along the way.

Thread Information