2001 Waverunner XLT1200 Bad Cylinder

I have a 2001 Yamaha Waverunner 1200XLT and one of the oil lines broke off the carburetor for that cylinder. The cylinder ran without oil for about 10 minutes until I realized it was lacking power. I tore down that cylinder and discovered that the sides of the piston were scratched pretty significantly. The cylinder wall has what appears to be aluminum from the piston welded to it and possibly some scratches in it. It also has one significant chip out of it even with the exhaust port. The engine has about 110 hours on it and the other two cylinders have 105 psi of compression. The engine has power valves and Nikasil cylinders. What would you recommend I do to repair the ski?
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ski View Post
    I have a 2001 Yamaha Waverunner 1200XLT and one of the oil lines broke off the carburetor for that cylinder. The cylinder ran without oil for about 10 minutes until I realized it was lacking power. I tore down that cylinder and discovered that the sides of the piston were scratched pretty significantly. The cylinder wall has what appears to be aluminum from the piston welded to it and possibly some scratches in it. It also has one significant chip out of it even with the exhaust port. The engine has about 110 hours on it and the other two cylinders have 105 psi of compression. The engine has power valves and Nikasil cylinders. What would you recommend I do to repair the ski?
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum!

The cylinder can be reworked. You can get a new piston and send it along with your cylinder to Millenium (cylinder plateing) at www.mt-llc.com. They will match the piston to the cylinder. They do good work and it is cheaper than a new cylinder. It probably would not hurt to hone and re ring the other two cylinders while you are there either.

Give them a call. They will tell you exactly what they need from you. I've sent 4 cylinders to them and have had a minor issue with one.... they said they would work with me with it. You should replace the bearing and "C" clips as well as the base gaskets, but the head gasket in my experience is reuseable.

Highly recommend that you remove the oil pump and go premix. Torque everything back to specs or else you will have vibration issues.

+1
    find a good cylinder on board or some where and re ring and run it change out oil lines and cut back covers so they dont pull oil lines off leave some slack for shrinkage or premix or get crank too 150 to 200 hr motors some more but not a bunch wave eater clips good insurance

Piston

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

The cylinder can be reworked. You can get a new piston and send it along with your cylinder to Millenium (cylinder plateing) at www.mt-llc.com. They will match the piston to the cylinder. They do good work and it is cheaper than a new cylinder. It probably would not hurt to hone and re ring the other two cylinders while you are there either.

Give them a call. They will tell you exactly what they need from you. I've sent 4 cylinders to them and have had a minor issue with one.... they said they would work with me with it. You should replace the bearing and "C" clips as well as the base gaskets, but the head gasket in my experience is reuseable.

Highly recommend that you remove the oil pump and go premix. Torque everything back to specs or else you will have vibration issues.
    Hey Salty

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the advice. Where should I order the piston and gaskets from. Does SBT have good pistons and gaskets? Also, what do I use to hone the other two cylinders? I thought you couldn't hone Nikasil.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ski View Post
    Hey Salty

Where should I order the piston and gaskets from. Does SBT have good pistons and gaskets? Also, what do I use to hone the other two cylinders? I thought you couldn't hone Nikasil.

Thanks

I order from www.boats.net. They have reasonable prices.

I' don't like to put SBT and Yamaha in the same sentence......nuff said.

There are hones made and used for Nikasil, in particular the flapper type but they are expensive.

Keep in mind that there really is nothing wrong with your other two cylinders. You should still have major crosshatching going on. Honeing is probably to strong a word. Deglazeing is probably more accurate. Here's a great quotation that I read about this issue, and they know much more about it then you or I:

"After the plating is done, the bore has to be machined to the correct diameter. This machining process is what leaves the cross-hatch. If you attempt to hone a plated cylinder with a traditional hone, you will damage the bore surface. The hone can snag in the ports, chipping the edges of the plating. And instead of restoring the cross-hatch, the hone will simply smooth the ridges of the machined cross-hatch, giving you lesscross-hatch than you started with."

"....All you need to do with a plated cylinder is clean the bore surface with soapy water and a Scotch-Brite pad. If the cross-hatch is worn down, then the bore is worn beyond spec, and it's time for a re-plate."

Thread Information