+1

Question Looking at buying a 2005 RXP

Looking at buying a 2005 RXP with 78 hours. I dont really know much about the newer seadoos. I know they have s/c problems. Any years to stay away from? or what to look for? He is asking $4600 with a trailer - ski looks clean. Looking for a good off season deal - not sure what people have been getting for them - nada is $4300-$4900 for this ski. Always had 2-strokes but time for a four stroke to be added - need something that we can get better miles between fuel stops.. looking to go on some longer rides....

Any input would be great - thanks!!!!!!

+1
    I picked up a used 04 this year with a double trailer for 5k. He is right in line on his price. As for the gas mileage its ok as long as your not holding it wide open all day then it really starts to drink the gas. When I got mine it had 120 hours on it, I failed to ask the previous owner if the supercharger had been rebuilt or ceramic washers had been replaced. And the VTS wasn't working when I got my ski. the dealer wanted 200 for the vts motor + labor. I just shipped my S/C to jerry for a rebuild and riva gen II S/C wheel. Ask him about the Washers, It will be due for a rebuild at 100 hrs. Negoiate on the VTS if it isn't working.

+1
    Make sure you ask the owner if the SC has been rebuilt as stated by jhill. If it hasnt than you should send it to Jerry as soon as you get theski home. There is a great thread on here that explains how to remove the SC. It's only three bolts. The reason for this is that the SC came from the factory with ceramic washers whichhave had major issues with falling apart and going into your motor. So if it needs to be rebuilt i'd negotiate that also. I purchased my RXP earlier this year from a fellow member and have loved it. If you've never owned a 4 tec ski your going to love the reliabilty. Make sure u test ride and be sure its still gettin all the RPM around 8,000.

+1
    Are there any years better than others??

Really just want a ski thats fast, but very reliable. Love two-strokes, but just sick of the headaches with carbs etc. I really like the new Yamaha FZR's but too much $$ for me right now. Not partial to any brand - the all seem to have their ups and downs.

+1
    Any brand will have its faults, the 08 models and up have the metal washers installed from the factory. Most say to find a ski that is still under warranty and if possible pick up the extended warranty for peace of mind. I love my 04 rxp, with a little bit of love and care it'll treat you right.

When you look at it take the air intake off at the supercharger, stick your hand in there and see if you can spin the supercharger impeller. If it moves freely the washers are gone, if it wont move or turns the engine with alot of force the washers are holding. Get the SC rebuilt immidiatly with that many hours. Also, research the 04 exhaust valves in the search in the performance section. The 04-05's had issues with the exhaust valves corroding and breaking (mostly low hours or high heat) causes this. Some 06's and all 07+ machines had updated exhaust valves in them!
    You will love the machine, I was sketchy going from 2 strokes but sure glad I did. The power that the newer machines make is amazing to say the least!

+1
    I traded in my 05 RXP for a 2010 RXT-x260. Dealer gave me $4,500. It had steel washers and only 50 hours on.I relly liked my 05.

Dealer only offered me 4900.00 for a 07 with Riva stage 1 kit and steel washers in charger. It has 72 hours was just serviced and not a ding dent or scratch. They also said to ask 7500.00 if I were to sell it to a private party. They wanted more for a RXT is demo than I paid for a brand new one...Oh well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Havadoo View Post
    Dealer only offered me 4900.00 for a 07 with Riva stage 1 kit and steel washers in charger. It has 72 hours was just serviced and not a ding dent or scratch. They also said to ask 7500.00 if I were to sell it to a private party. They wanted more for a RXT is demo than I paid for a brand new one...Oh well!!
    They must not have wanted your machine very much!

+1
    Im in a similar situation, 07 with 90 hours but supercharger has been replaced at 50 hours.

AUD$11,000 on trailer

Thread Information