Water getting in engine compartment..?

We have a GP800 98 and a 97 GP760. When we come back from riding, we always have water inside! The GP760 more so than the 800, usually around an inch or less. We have to tilt it up, undo the drain plugs, sop it up, run it, etc and leave the seats off a day or so to dry it out, a real pain! I am trying to figure out how the water is getting in. Any ideas? Isn't the bilge supposed to take care of this? Also, after doing all this, if we wait a couple days, and turn them on, MORE water comes out the exhaust!
    What are the points of entry for water getting in there? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Jen

+1
    Water goes through the water pump into the water jackets that surround the cylinders within the engine. This water is used to cool the engine. From there this hot water exits the engine and eventually the boat through the exhaust system. Water coming out of your exhaust is a normal thing. This is why water comes out of your exhaust when you flush your engine at home. If you do not see water coming out then you have a serious overheating issue.

1. Your seat is not a 100% seal, so when you douse your boat or submerge it in any way, then water can enter around the seat. Fix: There is no fix, this is why you have an automatic bilge/siphon system built into your boat. Of course the bilge is not 100% either.

2. Some of the bolts that attach components to the hull (trim tabs, ride plate, control cables etc may leak. Fix: Figure out which ones are causing a problem by either putting your trailer and boat into the water, lift the seat to observe where the water is coming in.... it may take some time. You can also partially fill your hull with fresh water at the house to observe water leaking out of the hull while it is on the trailer. Tighten the offending bolts.

3. You may have a leak around a clamps or connections. Fix: Strap the boat tight to the trailer and put it into the water. Pull the seat and start the engine. Partially rev the engine and look inside to find any potential leaks at the clamps and connections. Tighten as necessary.

If more water comes out of the exhaust several days later you aren't blowing it out well enough.

Water inside a jet ski is just a fact of life. It's a jet ski, if it's dry inside you're not riding it hard enough. The design on the front of the GPs isn't the most water tight either.

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Water goes through the water pump into the water jackets that surround the cylinders within the engine. This water is used to cool the engine. From there this hot water exits the engine and eventually the boat through the exhaust system. Water coming out of your exhaust is a normal thing. This is why water comes out of your exhaust when you flush your engine at home. If you do not see water coming out then you have a serious overheating issue.

1. Your seat is not a 100% seal, so when you douse your boat or submerge it in any way, then water can enter around the seat. Fix: There is no fix, this is why you have an automatic bilge/siphon system built into your boat. Of course the bilge is not 100% either.

2. Some of the bolts that attach components to the hull (trim tabs, ride plate, control cables etc may leak. Fix: Figure out which ones are causing a problem by either putting your trailer and boat into the water, lift the seat to observe where the water is coming in.... it may take some time. You can also partially fill your hull with fresh water at the house to observe water leaking out of the hull while it is on the trailer. Tighten the offending bolts.

3. You may have a leak around a clamps or connections. Fix: Strap the boat tight to the trailer and put it into the water. Pull the seat and start the engine. Partially rev the engine and look inside to find any potential leaks at the clamps and connections. Tighten as necessary.
    Wow, very informative answer. I have a similar problem, but I cannot seem to figure out where the water is coming from. I guess I'll just keep messin' with it until I can see what's up.

The only thing I haven't tried is filling it up on the inside and seeing if/where it leaks out.

Another thing to check is the OEM bilge itself. Take it off the hose and clean it, (soapy water or degreaser) Sometimes it becomes clogged with oily residue and will not siphon very well. Both my ski's did this. Now I have no issue with water retention!!

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gkecorp View Post
    Another thing to check is the OEM bilge itself. Take it off the hose and clean it, (soapy water or degreaser) Sometimes it becomes clogged with oily residue and will not siphon very well. Both my ski's did this. Now I have no issue with water retention!!
    That was going to be my suggestion as well. Also, don't try to blow the venturi system out from the outside as there is a one way check valve. Just take the box off that is under the coupler assembly, and blow the line out.

Thread Information