Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Riding in bad weather

I have had such a crappy summer here....thunderstorms every other day! I have finally decided that I just have to enjoy riding in rough water. I guess this means that I should get an Ocean Pro (Ocean) ride plate instead of the (Racing) version! Possibly some sponsons as well. Otherwise, it has been such a blast riding in waves that you can't see over. Just need to know where everyone else is around you. (Which has been easy since no one else seems to ride when it is rough.) Who else here likes to ride during storms?

If you wear a wetsuit and have some sort of goggles on, riding in a rain shower isn't so bad. I've done it a few times, it can be fun, but a lot of times visibility is really limited.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Riding in rough water can be fun. During storms is another story.

Rain hurts when at speed. (like little rocks)

Steph and I were out in 6-7' waves the other week end. Alot of fun, but can turn REALLY BAD if something were to go wrong.

Make sure to ride with another when conditions are poor.

yeah!!! rough waters kick ass, i love the rollers

+1
    i like 25 knots winds, head on into 3-4 footers with big intervals and jump to the third waves downside.. and keep going straight into the wind for as long as you can.. if you miss the wave, you sub it....so......

who knows with this Pro785..lol I cant even imagine. more like 5th wave.lol havent tried that stuff yet..

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    i like 25 knots winds, head on into 3-4 footers with big intervals and jump to the third waves downside.. and keep going straight into the wind for as long as you can.. if you miss the wave, you sub it....so...... ...
    I agree...first couple times out this season I ended up in pretty much this exact situation. Of course without having the engine dialed in perfectly I wasn't pushing it quite that hard, but I definately know the feeling of hitting the front side of the wave and punching through it...lots of water and tons of spray in the face. Everyone I ride with thinks that I am nuts for wanting to go out when the wind is blowing and the waves are 3-4 feet high.

It is kinda strange though....where I ride you get a bunch of waves coming at you fairly evenly, then all the sudden you get about three waves that are about twice as high. If you aren't paying attention they can send you ass over teakettle pretty easily!!!

+1
    lol thats funny.. on lake saint clair, youll be jumping in sync with the waves and a few cross chop waves from a huge boat 15 mins ago finally reaches your area and doubles the size of the waves and they come at you at a 45 degree angle throwing you sideways off the waves as you hiit it,, and if you have sponsons...watch out,,lol your going over.lol sideways.

got to pay attention.. im doing about 30mph i would guess jumping waves. its great when you hit the backside of the wave perfect and launch back off the next! thats a riot.. beats ya up though.. yeah the WALL of 300 gallons trying to rip ya off the ski is a trip too. all ya see is green for a couple seconds.lol

just praying the ski stays together!

Thread Information