2000 Yamaha SUV Project: newbie needs help

I bought a 2000 yamaha SUV that had the #3 oil injector line fall off which ruined the piston. The other two cylinders compression checked at 120 and 118 respectively. Included are pictures of the damage. I am going to split the crankshaft to see if there is any damage before deciding on which avenue to take. I do have some basic questions:
    1. Is there a way to bore out this cylinder and put a new piston oversized ring?
    2. I know I can buy a whole new top end from SBT, however, I don't think anything is wrong with the other two cylinders so how do I get just this one fixed?
    3. I've heard the difference between cylinders should not be more than 10%. What normally does a new cylinder compression test at?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CYLINDER 3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	212757 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PISTON 3 SIDE VIEW.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	212758

there are options: look for good used cylinder on the forum and get new piston/rings. or do the cylinder trade with millenium. SBT isnt that great IMHO... good luck with the build and welcome to GH...

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    You can bore the cylinder(s) out and replace with oversized pistons. I found a few local shops to do the boring for approx $60 per cylinder. This is the route I just went. I almost have the engine back together, so will be able to test compression shortly. I have the same motor as you.

BTW, that's a great find. I wish I could have found a broken SUV. Instead I got a borken GP1200.

do they re NIK the cylinders as well?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    ooops....

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VonnerNIX View Post
    You can bore the cylinder(s) out and replace with oversized pistons. I found a few local shops to do the boring for approx $60 per cylinder. This is the route I just went. I almost have the engine back together, so will be able to test compression shortly. I have the same motor as you.

BTW, that's a great find. I wish I could have found a broken SUV. Instead I got a borken GP1200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    ooops....

hoping its a 65U motor and not a 66V otherwise thats a biig oops and the piggy bank isnt gonna like that one

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    I didn't notice he said year 2000. Mine was a 97, so I am okay. It was a 65U.

Hey all ... not trying to hijack the thread .... newbie to this site and to jet skis here as well ... just got my hands on a 2000 SUV in exchange for some plumbing work. I havent yet dug into it yet but was told the motor is locked up. I got a "OEM" repair guide it doesnt really take about engine rebuild procedures .. are there any better guides out there? Also ... I live in Tampa ... and good places for find used parts for these ski's ?

+1
    these are not nikasil cylinders, these are sleeved 65U cylinders. Yes you can get one recut, and install one oversize piston if you want to.

Thread Information