Thread: engine rebuild

engine rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding my 2004 rxp SC that has dropped an intake valve ....i'm just looking for guidance on which aftermarket parts to buy....from all the reading ive gotten that SBT parts are junk ...but there are still lots of options ..im more looking for reliablity then performance ..if i understand correctly the 04-05 valves have a superceded part number for OEM...but the price of the Ferrea Lightweight Valve Set for 4-Tec Engines (Gen II) look really good ANY COMMENTS i'm also stuck on pistons can someone correct my if i'm wrong is the stock CR 8.4:1 i was going to go with the riva set avalible from the store here on the site
    i'm changing

crank bearings
    countershaft bearings
    connecting rod bearing
    connecting rod bolts
    cam shaft bolts
    crank bolts
    head bolts
    both oil pumps are out of spec(so new OEM)
    oem valve sring retainers
    one of the oil spray jets for the piston is cracked
    complete gasket set
    Cylinder Head Oil Pressure Jet for 03-05 Engines
    Upgraded OEM Flywheel Bolts (06+ specs)
    i'm sure i'm missing some things thats the jist of it....any and all advice appreciated

somethings that i forgot of course ...timing chain guides and all valve seals Also i will be having a machine shop do the boring or honeing as well as all the head work they will also polish the crank and counter balance shaft

thanks Justin
    Last edited by jtrudel90; 09-01-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: addition to original post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrudel90 View Post
    I am in the process of rebuilding my 2004 rxp SC that has dropped an intake valve ....i'm just looking for guidance on which aftermarket parts to buy....from all the reading ive gotten that SBT parts are junk ...but there are still lots of options ..im more looking for reliablity then performance ..if i understand correctly the 04-05 valves have a superceded part number for OEM...but the price of the Ferrea Lightweight Valve Set for 4-Tec Engines (Gen II) look really good ANY COMMENTS i'm also stuck on pistons can someone correct my if i'm wrong is the stock CR 8.4:1 i was going to go with the riva set avalible from the store here on the site
    i'm changing

crank bearings
    countershaft bearings
    connecting rod bearing
    connecting rod bolts
    cam shaft bolts
    crank bolts
    head bolts
    both oil pumps are out of spec(so new OEM)
    oem valve sring retainers
    one of the oil spray jets for the piston is cracked
    complete gasket set
    Cylinder Head Oil Pressure Jet for 03-05 Engines
    Upgraded OEM Flywheel Bolts (06+ specs)
    i'm sure i'm missing some things thats the jist of it....any and all advice appreciated

somethings that i forgot of course ...timing chain guides and all valve seals Also i will be having a machine shop do the boring or honeing as well as all the head work they will also polish the crank and counter balance shaft

thanks Justin
    Welcome if You haven't been.

You have done your homework and looks good.
    Not sure why the rebuild but check the connecting rods to be sure are OK.
    Go with the riva pistons (Be sure they check the ring gap) and replace valves of your choice for good measure.
    If your going to ever up the RPM,s now would be great time to change the springs/retainers.

Good luck with your rebuild.

thanks SKOEPP for the warm welcome ....the valve retainer on one of the intake valves cracked and the valve keepers fell out and the valve dropped ..the valve didnt totally drop it just slightly bent ...no real damage ....thank god .....i found the valve keepers but the damage had already been done to the oil pump ... so i'm just doing a full rebuild ...no sense cheaping out ...the cylinder bore had some miminal scratchs you cant feel them with your finger nail but are visible so the machine shop was going to de-glaze the cylinders and see how they come out and if it needs to be bored it will get done i noticed the RIVA pistons are avalible 10 and 20 thou over does any one know if i'm correct with the compression ratio.

thanks Justin

Thread Information