Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 GSXL accl pump and jetting

I have a low speed bog.. if I hammer the throttle it will stall. If I ride under 30mph it rides in a constant bog. I rebuild the carbs, replaced entire fuel system.. I think one of the check valves in the accl line on the mag carb is the culprit. I can't clean it enough to get a good flow no matter what I do. At this point I want to pull the accl pump and install a block off plate and rejet the carbs.

Where can I get the plate and what jetting should I run? Its running an oem crank, hot rod pistons, bored cyls, stock head. What are my best options? Ski has 6 hours on it and still running 32:1 premix. I capped the oil injector, removed the plastic spine from the stator, capped the two inlets on the cyls and removed the hoses. Not sure at this point what is causing this bog!

First what kind of compression you seeing so we can figure out your jetting.

Two, have you read your plugs?

Ive seen this happen with water injetion, it cleans up at wot, but at low rpms it cant pass the water!

whats your current jetting.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I might have a block off for the acc pump, are you running the stock airbox or the Pro-K flame arrestors I recommended?
    measure the plate from side to side, I just want to make sure.

I read thru your rebuild post a while back and vaguely remember... I think you added a 99 airbox? Did you re-jet for it? the 98's came with 165/82.5 and the 99's 162.5/75. Do you know what was in there?

man, I mis-read the bit about the Mag accel spigot not flowing. long day. Sorry.

For reference, In Ben's mod sticky, with the Prok's and 2.3 N/S, he suggests going from 85 to 95 low when removing the accel pump.
    Last edited by retro jet; 09-02-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added Ben's mod Jetting.

OK, I am back alive. I figured out that one of the elbow check valves was clogged on the accl line. I ended up replacing it cause I couldnt clean it for the life of me. Well, didn't solve my problem!

The ski runs like ass under 30mph, if your idle and WOT it will stall. It will do the same at 20mph. No spudder nothing odd. It seems as if its either starved for gas or floods out with too much. I am pulling my hair out. I plan on blocking off the accl pump, I need to measure to get back to you on that on. I also plan on rejetting. BUT, until then, there has to be another problem... I am going to run the carbs directly to the ON on the fuel baffle and see if it still acts like that to elimate everything but the carbs.

Any guesses? I just rebuilt both carbs. I double checked them recently as well. I am almost out of breakin mode on the new engine and want to nail this issue down.

Pretty much i ride around pumping the throttle until 30-40. I did ride WOT tonight for a short time and dream meter said 65mph so I am guessing it was around 59/60. Runs awesome at high RPMS.

+1
    check the o-ring on the fuel filter, I had a ski suck some air due to a bad o-ring

Did that about 3 different time now

+1
    bypass it and run a inline filter, not the ones with paper in them but the kind that looks like a triangle, Oreilleys sells them, they have like a rock inside.

Run the main line from the reserve to the carb with the inline filter in place, ride with the gas cap off or get ride of the check valve the only purpose of it is to keep gas from spilling on a roll over, on my XPL i was free venting just a hose breathing on the outside of the ski, under the seat.

Actually, you might be onto something... Last time I added ga, I went to unscrew the gas gap and it blew off from the presure. Check valve might be screwed. Where is the actual valve? I will yank it and let the tank free vent through the vent lines.

But my next question is so what? Gas vapors are not venting properly from the tank... The baffle draws from the bottom of the tank.. What is the connection to a bog if its not venting right?

You got a link to that inline filter your talking about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information