Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

opinions on R&D kit, and holeshot mod questions.

so looking past my rebuild ive been wondering what i can do after i get everything running right. i was leaning towards an R&D grate, plate, and a riva pump seal kit. but now i have a whole slew of random questions.

talking to mark at riva, he says they sell brackets that go above the grate inserts to keep the inserts from tearing. good or bad? is this common to do? is this somehting from a newer gpr or something they made?

wfo says when doing a pump tunnel reinforce to use the 04+ gpr shoe and plate brackets. island racing makes a nice reinforcement kit, with everything you need. what kinda brackets do they use? either way i reinforce ill be doing a prefab setup.

i recently stumbled upon the R&D performer kit. it seems to be about what i want. im pretty set on their plate, and im not a fan of rivas black painted grate that will peel. and my main goal is to just get a couple extra mph, and reduce most of my porpoising and cavitation, then do a reinforcement.

anyone used the performer kit and have anything to say about it? its the R&D plate, grate ( says aquavein, im guessing thats the single bar) , extended trim tabs, pump seal kit, and anticavitation cone. im guessing they do the 10 percent green hulk discount too since riva does. i cant find the pump seal kit in the 4-tec store.

R&D also makes brackets for shoes and plates. anyone used them? they work like 04+ brackets?

after i got that done, i wanted to do some sort of holeshot mod like a island racing holeshot kit. is the jetworks simmilar to that? is there any good reading on what a jetworks kit or IR holeshot kit actually does to make it accelerate faster?

my main goal is to get a couple extra mph for next summer, stop my porpoising, and get as much more acceleration as i can.

im not looking to do an impeller yet, as ill be doing an ho pump and dynafly down the road.

any advice on what to do about this bracket situation and what you guys use?

found a post by wfo saying not to use extended trim tabs. any pros cons to this?

thanks for your help, you guys are very helpful. ive been searching, if you have any advice on what to search for or where to look id be appreciative of that. mods if this is flooding and i need to search feel free to delete.

im gonna reinforce the tunnel first i believe. anyone used the IR kit?

+1
    r&d says the grate that comes with it is a single bar. IIRC the single bar is better for chop and dual is better for lake/river smoother water right?

don't bother with the ppk, just get the casting plastic stuff it works much better and at max only half the cost depending on the brand you use.

don't do the tabs they do in fact slow you down... pros are that they let you handle ebtter cons you lose top speed. for sure do the tunnel and hose at the same time and first... If you want hole shot then your talking pump stuff like the impeller/wear ring to start thigns off right then the hole shot options too... IR kit i have it sitting in my dining room right now for a winter project its fairly detailed. I think you may want to look into both kits if your wanting a killer shot... Also then from what i have been told reeds,milled head and a couple other options... gonna need that impeller though itll make a big diff... Good luck and get back onto the water already its almost the end of riding season for those of you outside of cali!!!

First things do all the safety mods, tunnel reinforcement, coupler hose, ride plate inserts, and intake grate inserts (inserts 05 and up Yamaha stock replacements OEM parts). second the jetworks mod and the IR kit is the same thing unless you want to do the stealth mod (not needed) but it gives you the ability to take out the stock siphon bilge if you want and there have been claims of RPM gains by doing this. the tabs do slow you down, get metal regular size tabs or keep the stockers. Regular sized tabs are better because most ppl shim them somewhere around .1 after getting the proper ride plate angle (every ski is different rider weight and position on ski should and will make a difference in what you need to shim your plate at).

Don't ever buy a "KIT" from a company read, read, read, on here to get the best parts that have been tried numerous times and you'll save money in the long run.

Buy u a tach of some kind you have to tune these things by RPM that is the only way to tell if you have drag on the ski (I.E. same RPM on motor but less MPH after you make a change you have something hanging to low and dragging in the water)

Good luck with it, best thing on here is to read till you get tired of reading and then read some more then test what you think you have learned on the setup of your ski document what you did take a note pad and wright things down (shim thickness and speed, humidity that day, temp, keep gas the same in the ski, elevation, etc.) it takes alot of time at the docks this doesn't come as easy as racing a car, I do that also.

This is for richdash if you are only at 63.5 with your current mods listed and they are on your ski you are off somewhere on your ride plate or something, you have the HO pump on your ski with that 14/20 and you should be somewhere in the 65.5-67.0 mph zone you need to crawl under that thing and check everything out. I don't want to seem like a pr*ck but I hate to see you spend the money on the parts and not get out of them what you should be. it should have ran the 63.5 stock maybe a lilttle faster.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fatrat View Post
    First things do all the safety mods, tunnel reinforcement, coupler hose, ride plate inserts, and intake grate inserts (inserts 05 and up Yamaha stock replacements OEM parts). second the jetworks mod and the IR kit is the same thing unless you want to do the stealth mod (not needed) but it gives you the ability to take out the stock siphon bilge if you want and there have been claims of RPM gains by doing this. the tabs do slow you down, get metal regular size tabs or keep the stockers. Regular sized tabs are better because most ppl shim them somewhere around .1 after getting the proper ride plate angle (every ski is different rider weight and position on ski should and will make a difference in what you need to shim your plate at).

Don't ever buy a "KIT" from a company read, read, read, on here to get the best parts that have been tried numerous times and you'll save money in the long run.

Buy u a tach of some kind you have to tune these things by RPM that is the only way to tell if you have drag on the ski (I.E. same RPM on motor but less MPH after you make a change you have something hanging to low and dragging in the water)

Good luck with it, best thing on here is to read till you get tired of reading and then read some more then test what you think you have learned on the setup of your ski document what you did take a note pad and wright things down (shim thickness and speed, humidity that day, temp, keep gas the same in the ski, elevation, etc.) it takes alot of time at the docks this doesn't come as easy as racing a car, I do that also.

This is for richdash if you are only at 63.5 with your current mods listed and they are on your ski you are off somewhere on your ride plate or something, you have the HO pump on your ski with that 14/20 and you should be somewhere in the 65.5-67.0 mph zone you need to crawl under that thing and check everything out. I don't want to seem like a pr*ck but I hate to see you spend the money on the parts and not get out of them what you should be. it should have ran the 63.5 stock maybe a lilttle faster.
    thanks for the info. so to reinforce ill need the ride plate and shoe brackets from an 05 gpr and the prefab reinforcement from the 4-tec store and 5200?

then what kinda hose is best? ive read about it some, some use that clear hose. wheres the best place to buy that and whats the size i should be going with.

so those grate inserts riva is talking about arent needed? and a R&D grate, plate and riva shoe seal kit is a good start? ill probably actually do a pet tach after reinforcing it and then get the plate, grate and shoe sealed. shooting for 7200 ish rpms? is it absolutley nessicary to run it with a tach before doing the plate and grate?

if i do the ir holeshot kit, and i loose the siphon bildge, will i have to add in an electric one? do all IR holeshot mods take away the siphon bildge? id like to have the stealth mod, so i can avoid having all those pissers on the back.

1. you want an aftermarket ride plate jims / island racing modded one if you can swing the money if not then get an r&D and save up the money to have it modded, you can do the prefab reinforcement or buy yourself some fiberglass matt (6-8 layers) and SMC resin and go to work with that and make your own your choice.........making your own is cheaper

2.hose for the holeshot/jetworks kit you can pick that up at lowes just make sure it is for high pressure adn i think it is 3/8 hose (whatever fits the fitting that you will be putting on the stinger and what fits the jet works valve)

3. I won't say they aren't needed they aren't on mine yet and i'll leave it at that
    I would get a tach first thing, it shows you so much about your ski, if you are dragging something or anything its a good investment t

4. if you do the stealth mod kit then you will lose the siphon bilge and unless yours has and electric bilge pump (i am not sure) then you need to get one put in it.

+1
    i was planning on getting an R&D plate. and then sending it to jim later. i thought you meant the tunnel hose, not the jetworks hose.

so theres no way to have a holeshot mod with no pissers out the back and keep the siphon bildge?

what all is needed for the jetworks mod, i know theres that write up but is there a parts list? what do most people use? i wouldnt mind pissers out the back if it gave me a good holeshot.

all i need for the reinforcement is the prefab itself, 5200, the ride plate and shoe brackets off an 05 and thats it?

what does a jetworks or ir holeshot mod actually do? im still confused onit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    i was planning on getting an R&D plate. and then sending it to jim later. i thought you meant the tunnel hose, not the jetworks hose.

so theres no way to have a holeshot mod with no pissers out the back and keep the siphon bildge?

what all is needed for the jetworks mod, i know theres that write up but is there a parts list? what do most people use? i wouldnt mind pissers out the back if it gave me a good holeshot.

all i need for the reinforcement is the prefab itself, 5200, the ride plate and shoe brackets off an 05 and thats it?

what does a jetworks or ir holeshot mod actually do? im still confused onit.
    Lots of search info on the Holeshot mod...but the basic science behind it is to keep the waterbox somewhat dry on 0-30 acceleration, and your able to do this by not letting water in while idling.... you now have less water to "push out'' when you ''stab" the throttle on take off...the GPR can be sluggish out of the hole because of a large water box...Good luck with your build

+1
    thanks.

so which one is done more and is easiest to build? ive done some reading. is the ir kit just as good as using the jetworks valve and buying all the pieces individually? does the ir kit have you drill into the thicker part of the stinger as opposed to the thinner part some methods have you do it? anyone have the pdf on the actual jetworks mod, i have this one

http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/...%20Control.pdf

is that the true jetworks way?

ill be doing it like wfo suggests, drilling another hole in the transom to keep the stock bildge system.

and if i have a dplate and chip can the exhaust temp thing be blocked off?

now that ive seen how a jetworks kit works the ir kit seems expensive.

to reiterate, if i want to keep my siphon bildge and not have any pissers on the back of my ski, i need to drill another hole in the back of my transom and get the ir stealth mod y thing too right? or do i just need to drill a hole? does the stealth mod y into another water pisser to keep one hole in the transom?

+1
    and ive heard that jetworks sells a kit, but dont see it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information