900 zxi stalls, boggs, and spontaneously jumps out of the water

So I have a 96 Zxi recently purchased. First it idled great and seemed fine with high RPM running on the hose. Then got it to the water and hit the throttle and it would stop accelerating at 3-4k RPM and 20-30mph. It seemed to take a little more time than usual to get there as well. So I pulled the carbs off and cleaned everything. The middle one was had a few crumbs in it but overall everything was clean. I noticed one of the floats was not opening enough compared to the others. I adjusted them too .076"(almost 2mm which I think is at the end of the 1-2mm spec) of travel and put it back together. I started it up on the hose and the idle was high(3k) I adjusted the idle screw down to about 1500 RPM. I tood it to the water and it idled great but at WOT it dies immediately at 2k RPM. If I ease through the throttle it will reach the same 3-4k RPM as before and that's it. Now the funny thing is 2 times when I was riding it WOT pinned, it sporattically jumped ahead, went to 7k RPM and then right back down to 3-4k.

The spark plugs are black and sort of dry.

Any thoughts? I'm at a loss. Not enough fuel, too much fuel?

I just trimmed the wires back and reinsalled the boots to have a good spark. Didn't get it out on the water yet but doesn't appear to have changed anything. Impeller looks great. No nicks and tight clearance.

plugs dry, lack of fuel, richen up the off idle / high speed circuit, install new plugs, fuel filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    plugs dry, lack of fuel, richen up the off idle / high speed circuit, install new plugs, fuel filter.
    I was wrong. I looked at the plugs this morning and found that they are wet and black. I think it is getting too much fuel. I pulled the cover off and peaked down the flame arrestor holes and found that at idle the left and right carbs were dribbling a little bit of fuel on the plates. The middle one wasn't so much. At about 2-3k they were spitting a lot fuel in the bore and the middle still wasn't that much if at all.

Carb rebuild kit time? I did look and found no exhaust leaks.

if you cant rebuild them effectively then send them to someone that can before you damage the one or more cyl.

well at least it's too rich and not too lean. I can do it and I have other resources who are capable. just curious if that sounds like the fix.

Thread Information