Intake clogged with seaweed and warning light :-(

First off I'm new to water. I just picked up my first ski (A 2010 Kawasaki Ultra LX) today and took it out on the lake. We were having fun and getting the hang of it. After a turn she started to lose thrust but RPMs were spinning. I figured the impeller wasn't spinning but the engine was... I idled towards the dock but on the way there the warning indicator light went on for heat. I shut it down immediately when the light went on and once it was off I noticed a little steam coming out of the little ports on the side that water comes out of (cooling system indicators per dealer or pisser ports as you guys call them I think). I had waved another skier and he pulled me on a rope at low speed (pretty much 3-4 mph) while I held the rope. Once I trailered it I realized all the weeds that were growing up in the lake stuck in the intake grates. If I had known I would have jumped in the water to clear it while the ski was off. I pulled them out and when I got home I flushed the motor with water and all seemed fine.

The only thing I noticed is that when I hit the throttle a little the RPMs stayed for a second before dropping down (like a sticky throttle body). I don't know if this happened before because I never had the hose on the ski before I hit the lake... I picked this ski up from the dealer today

I hope you guys take it easy on me!!!! I had my two little girls with me on the ski so I wasn't able to let it sit and wait for help without them freaking out. I had to idle it in. Just wondering if you think I did anything to permanently damage the engine if the heat indicator went on. Hope not

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    you will be fine

the warning light/buzzers have a in built safety margin so u dont do instant damage when they come on ( otherwise wot good are they )

ensure you get all the weed out from intake & prop are and all will be good.

and IF you need towing the slower the better.or fit TOW taps

this will teach u to shut the ski of abit further out from the bank when coming in to park....... Oh the lessons we learn

the idle can hold up by a couple 100 rpm and be normal
    but if it holds at 3000rpm then just tell your dealer when u take it back for the 1st service....

Waz
    Thanks that makes me feel a lot better!!

About the towing I luckily read that before (I trolled this forum for weeks!!! haha) but seems the guy that pulled me knew it too because he did it super slow.

Yea it holds at 3000rpms... I blipped it a little to 5-6k and it held there for a second.. weird.. I'll tell them.

I won't tell them about the intake grate getting clogged!

Now it's time to order up a ride plate and let the modding begin!

+1
    Welcome aboard, wojtek9321!

I'll try not to be too hard on you, everybody has to learn. You really should take a brand new 'Ski out by yourself (with another 'Ski if possible) to break it in. Yea, I know, the kids would have a fit; but they'll really be upset if you mess it up and have to put it in the shop, or if you hurt someone. You really need to learn how to ride it, maneuver around the boat ramp, how to re-board in deep water, how to flip it upright if it capsizes, etc. before taking someone else with you.

That said, I don't think you've done any permanent damage to it. You mentioned running it on the hose. Do you know the procedure for that? Start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN shut off the engine. NEVER let the water run if the engine isn't running. You can destroy your engine doing that!

Finally, if you have a lot of weeds, debris, etc. in the water, installing a strainer in the cooling water inlet line is a really good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, wojtek9321!

I'll try not to be too hard on you, everybody has to learn. You really should take a brand new 'Ski out by yourself (with another 'Ski if possible) to break it in. Yea, I know, the kids would have a fit; but they'll really be upset if you mess it up and have to put it in the shop, or if you hurt someone. You really need to learn how to ride it, maneuver around the boat ramp, how to re-board in deep water, how to flip it upright if it capsizes, etc. before taking someone else with you.

That said, I don't think you've done any permanent damage to it. You mentioned running it on the hose. Do you know the procedure for that? Start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Turn off the water, THEN shut off the engine. NEVER let the water run if the engine isn't running. You can destroy your engine doing that!

Finally, if you have a lot of weeds, debris, etc. in the water, installing a strainer in the cooling water inlet line is a really good idea.

Thanks for the advice man. I'll be taking it 1 upping it today with another ski along while the kids are at school haha. It was no way the kids were going to let us hit the water without them. I did do a test run for about 10 minutes while they were getting ready on shore to get the hang of things...

About the capsizing part.. what if the engine compartment fills with water is there a bilge pump?

The hose running I did properly. I looked at a couple of used skis before buying new and did a lot of reading.. I also got an hour long Q&A with a service tech at the dealership on everything from prepping to get in the water to getting out of the water and what to look over. He sounded knowledgeable.

I'll check into the strainer definitely but I'm also going to be more concious of the water quality in the lakes. I caught the seaweed closer to the shore than other skiiers. I was trying to keep my distance from the people that seemed like they knew what they were doing so we don't cross paths.

+1
    I don't think your boat has a bilge pump, but I haven't looked inside one. Most PWCs use a venturi tube in the jet nozzle to suck water out of the bilge, but this requires that the engine be running.

Glad to hear that you made a good start at getting educated! I really wasn't trying to be too hard on you.

My wife took our nephews to the lake one day and saw a couple with a brand spanking new pair of SeaDoos. It was obviously their first day. They road around the lake for a while, then stopped for lunch. They casually pulled up on the beach, shut the engines off, then got off to eat. When it came time to go back out, they simply started the engines and put the boats into reverse... They revved and revved the engines until smoke started pouring out, but they still wouldn't move. They finally pushed both boats to the boat ramp and pushed them back on the trailer... My guess is that they were upset when the dealer denied their warranty claim for any damage they did.

Thread Information