+1

Honda + salt, another issue.

My aluminum replacement bulkhead fittings arrived and I took the to Eric's shop:

Well, we replaced all of the thin /brittle plastic bulkhead fittings on my #1 and #2 Hondas today.

It is a real PIB to get the fragile fittings out [you have to split them into pieces], clean out the hole/threads, buff off the aftermarket aluminum fitting [dulling the threads] so it will shoulder-up properly due to the corroded aluminum threads in the bulkhead.

This would be much easier with the ride plate off [we just pulled the pumps out] which would allow you to swing a 15/16" wrench inside the pump tunnel to tighten the new fittings.
    It took two hours to do four fittings [2 Hondas F models] and then we water tested both of them.

The bulkhead fittings did not leak so we rode them for about half an hour when #2 began surging terribly at high speeds. We opened the engine bay up out in the creek and found a pretty good bit of water [1" deep in the rear]. We traced the source to a seperated thru-hull fitting that was dripping water at idle but spraying water all over the aftermarket foam air filter/turbo inlet at top speed [it is under a lot of pressure at high speed due to pump overstuffing].

The good thing is that #1 ran well and was turning 6450 RPM today and due to getting the ride plate tweaked properly, it rides like a charm, even over wakes.

I left #2 with Eric to fix when I get the fitting and picked up #3 from my Daughter's to take to the Suwannee.

Eric has had several salted Hondas with bad thru hull fittings where the salt penetrates between the rubber bonded to the aluminum and causes corrosion of the aluminum which releases its bond, allowing water to enter into the engine bay. The exact same thing that happens to the engine mounts, letting them seperate the rubber from the aluminum.

Flushing will not solve this problem, after salt riding, the ski needs to be backed in while on the trailer into fresh water and run for a few minutes to get the salt out of the thru-hull bearing housing unless you want to lay on your back at a car wash and spray the tailshft/thru hull fitting through the intake grate.

Why would I ever want to buy another brand of 'ski and have to learn all of this from "Square one"?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for sharing this as I ride about 50/50 salt/fresh. Alot of water comes out where my intake grate is when I flush, or appears to be in that area. This doesn't do the trick 'eh?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Thanks for sharing this as I ride about 50/50 salt/fresh. Alot of water comes out where my intake grate is when I flush, or appears to be in that area. This doesn't do the trick 'eh?
    I always thought the splash coming out of the grate while flushing did a pretty good job but from all the failures I have seen and on the forums, I doubt it is making it back up into the cavity around the shaft.

Be sure to change the nuts on your bulkhead fittings, the design Honda used is as fragile as an egg. When one lets go you have an instantly flooded motor.

Thread Information