Not a good night!

Unloaded the GSXL and GTI and noticed that the trailer decided to unweld and bend 3 of the four brackets that hold the GTI's bunks.. Need to find someone to fix that...

Then the GTI was running fine. I had issues with it swamping lately but finally got that nailed down... The pump was a bit loose at the top and the bilge lines where not sealing. That combined with a small hole in the oil injector line spelled chaos for the poor carbon seal! So I fixed the pump issue, fixed the oil leak issue and GTI has been fine last couple times out (over 2 hours both times no issues)

Then... disaister! The GTI was going around 30mph, lost power, slowed down and shut off. Afte that, it would not crank over. Hitting the start button makes the prop turn about an 1/8 of a turn each time. I pulled the plugs and they were oil wet. Looked in the pump, all looked fine. I havent pulled the head yet to take a look in but I was in there a few nights ago inspecting the pistons and cyls.. Pistons had a little play but not alot. one cyl has slight scratches... Was'nt really concerned about either..

Sooo guesses anyone before I tear the engine down? Crank maybe?

When I bought the ski it had a "new top end".. The carb then came loose and it ran lean for a bit and bounced around and beat the piss out the adapter to the point that I had to replace it. Both lock nuts were flat and crap and that was the cause. The compression the other night was 115 mag and 120 pto. It was not running OEM pistons and the cyls had been honed, not bored. My guess is that it ran lean for a while (not sure how long) and it cause the top end to get some wear and tear but not enough to blowup.

My wife said she was having an issue holding a stead speed and it felt like it had a spudder before it died. She said the spedometer was bouncing and neddle never ran smooth or stayed on a number.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ccstamoulis View Post
    Unloaded the GSXL and GTI and noticed that the trailer decided to unweld and bend 3 of the four brackets that hold the GTI's bunks.. Need to find someone to fix that...

Then the GTI was running fine. I had issues with it swamping lately but finally got that nailed down... The pump was a bit loose at the top and the bilge lines where not sealing. That combined with a small hole in the oil injector line spelled chaos for the poor carbon seal! So I fixed the pump issue, fixed the oil leak issue and GTI has been fine last couple times out (over 2 hours both times no issues)

Then... disaister! The GTI was going around 30mph, lost power, slowed down and shut off. Afte that, it would not crank over. Hitting the start button makes the prop turn about an 1/8 of a turn each time. I pulled the plugs and they were oil wet. Looked in the pump, all looked fine. I havent pulled the head yet to take a look in but I was in there a few nights ago inspecting the pistons and cyls.. Pistons had a little play but not alot. one cyl has slight scratches... Was'nt really concerned about either..

Sooo guesses anyone before I tear the engine down? Crank maybe?

When I bought the ski it had a "new top end".. The carb then came loose and it ran lean for a bit and bounced around and beat the piss out the adapter to the point that I had to replace it. Both lock nuts were flat and crap and that was the cause. The compression the other night was 115 mag and 120 pto. It was not running OEM pistons and the cyls had been honed, not bored. My guess is that it ran lean for a while (not sure how long) and it cause the top end to get some wear and tear but not enough to blowup.

My wife said she was having an issue holding a stead speed and it felt like it had a spudder before it died. She said the spedometer was bouncing and neddle never ran smooth or stayed on a number.
    Oil in the cylinders is either the crank seals, or the front rotary shaft seal is leaking, filling the rotary cover up and douching the cylinders through the intake ports. Did you notice a bunch of oil gone from the reservoir? Its quite posible that your motor is only cranking a 1/8th of a turn because your crankcase is full of oil. But then again, that scored cylinder may now be a seized cylinder..

ouch. It may have needed a new bottom end to go with the new top end when you bought it or it sucked something into the case when running with the carb loose.

If you have a buddy weld your trailer be careful breathing the fumes from the galvy. Google "welding galvanized metal".

Its an aluminium trailer....

Trailer aside, I ripped through the engine a bit tonight. There is some pretty good carbon build up on both pistons. The PTO piston is beat up a bit. The cyls are not bad at all, there is a bit of damage on the head, nothing major. The issue is the crank. The carbon seal went on the ski a couple weeks ago and it swampped pretty good. I am guessing the case swampped and the bearing blowup on the crank since the PTO rod doesnt move a millimeter on the crank. I can not turn the crank at all. I havent pulled the engine yet or split the cases for a better look but I am guessing I am in the market for a crank and a couple pistons and rings The cyls can be honed, they are in good shape. I am guessing the carbon build up came from it running lean when the carb was boucing around.

Some pix for your enjoyment of my pain hahaha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100903_212701.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	213009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100903_211819.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	213010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20100903_211805.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	213011

I also think that someone died on this ski. It has the strangest problems at the strangest times. I spend more time wrenching on it then my wife does riding it. When things break it's not the normal stuff, it always get me and others to say, "wow that is wierd" or "wow that sucks". I need to bring this ski to a church and have it exercized! Maybe run it in some holy water?

Every ounce of this ski has been rebuilt by me.. Fuel system, stator, rectifier, carb adapter, oil intector pump, carbon seal, accordin boot, pump, wear ring, prop. Now top and bottom end. I guarente the first 2 hours on it and something else breaks! Oh right, the oil line also had a pin hole in it...

Pretty much gonna rebuild the motor, paint it up all pretty, clean the hull real nice, finish the season, winterize it and sell it in the spring! She need a GTXL anyway. Ill rebuild that and start over with something not posessed!

PS: The trailer broke on the side the GTI sits on! hahaha NOT FUNNY!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    get a 4 stroke bro less wrenching more riding!

+1
    wow that sucks

You may be better off finding another ski in great shape and using yours for spare parts; basically value of ski versus cost of repair. Just a thought from someone who has been there.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    also stay away from the 720's they are bad with stators and flywheels touching down,
    better off getting a good reliable 787

Thread Information