Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help ASAP!!

Just bought a 2004 sportster 4TEC 155. I test drove it with the owner and everything seemed fine, brought it home and dropped it in the water, after approx. 15-20 minutes out on the water it all of a sudden lost RPM's and would only rev to 2,500-3,000 RPM's...we limped back to the docks, pulled it out and check the bottom for any weeds ect....everything looked fine. We then pulled the plugs, they looked O.K but decided to change them anyway, I put the hose on the engine and started it up, still won't rev!!! None of the lights or beeps came on...but noticed that just befor trying to start it on the hose I got 4 quick beeps....??? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Located in St. Pete's Florida

Thanks,

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    you might have it on neutral. or the switch could be bad, it wont let you rev up if the computer thinks its still in neautral

Thanks, I am sure that I was properly in gear, but will check the switch tomorrow morning.

+1
    i say this from a personal experience, I was like wtf!!! both engines wont rev up. called my buddy and he told me about the neutral deal

I guess the switch would be attached to the throttle controller then...right?? just remove the screws and pull out the whole unit?? Did you have to replace the switch or were you able to fix it??

+1
    no the selector was kinda wore out and would not fall into place correctly
    you might want to play with it, do this: stick the key in it while its in forward or reverse, move the selector to neutral and it should beep once, because the computer will not let you start the engine on gear, it must be in neutral.

if it does not beep the switch is bad

I will try that, but I can start the boat, maybe it's not recognizing it coming out of neutral??

+1
    if you can start it in gear as in forward/reverse then the switch must be stuck on neutral position. and if it doesnt beep when you put it in neutral then the switch is stuck in neutral

Just ran outside to check...lol...I put on the lanyard with the lever in the "reverse" position and it beeped (it was really loud so I pulled the lanyard out right away) It should only beep if it's in neutral right??

+1
    yes once the lanyard is in it should beep twice, when you mess with the shifter and stick it in neutral it will beep once (while the key is still on).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information