Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

951 Carb to RFI conversion

With all the talk about carbureted 2 stroke being outlawed in 2013, What is involved in converting a 951 from carburetor to RFI?? I have a pair of GTX's (1999 & 2001) that I love, both are carburated when the motors go I'm thinking about converting so I can hang on to them.

I'm sorry but the new 4 strokes just suck. WAY to heavy, weak acceleration, no spin outs or slides and so fuking expensive I may as well get a boat. Once again our fukin Federal Government has stepped in and killed another industry. The insane emissions standards they set out forced the PWC's to 4 stroke POS. Now as typical when the government puts it hands on something it becomes 1/2 as good and twice as expensive.

Well As for your views on 4Strokes. IMO I think your wrong. Lots of people were tired of the 2 stroke problems. Meltdowns not just Seadoo suffered from, Poor fuel economy, plugs fowl every so often, Oil that is way overpriced needs to be added way 2 much, They stink, (ride a 4stroke for a while and you might notice, Oil ends up in the water, They arent as stable and easy for the over 200 crowd, Not everyone can rebuild carbs change plugs add oil or want to. For those the 4 stroke is the way the RFI and DI 2smokes didnt work out as well as hopped. No one wants a DI and an RFI isnt clean enough. So you are stuck with 4 strokes. You can wine and bitch but all that will accomplish is you get to vent. OR you could accept the inevitable and ride a 4stroke It aint all that bad. They are heavy and cost a bit more but your ride time will go up unless you screw it up. Your GTX might beat a few 4 strokes but to hit 70 even with an XPl your going to be working on it all the time. RXP needs very little to hit 70. GTX SC will run over 60 all day long and an RXT and GTX 215 will run 67 all daylong every day for a long time.
    About making a RFI 951 an 4 stroke would be cheaper. They only made one RFI and its based on the 787 not the 947. The DI is based one the 947 and conversion to both would cost you way to much. Maybe a after-market Fuel injection kit might do it but they aren't very cheap either and would need to be adapted and you would need to make your own fuel curve settings without an O2 sensor . Dont think they will work on a 2smoke. Good Luck.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    apparently you have not ridden a seadoo 4 stroke.
    I owned many 2 strokes, I got tired of wrenching and rebuilding top ends every 200 hours, buying oil mixing it.
    there is no reason to bitch about anything, 4 strokes were designed to overcome the 2 strokes, I can ride my rxp all day without having to worry about it breaking down.

Just live with, put up or shut up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    apparently you have not ridden a seadoo 4 stroke.
    I owned many 2 strokes, I got tired of wrenching and rebuilding top ends every 200 hours, buying oil mixing it.
    there is no reason to bitch about anything, 4 strokes were designed to overcome the 2 strokes, I can ride my rxp all day without having to worry about it breaking down.

Just live with, put up or shut up.
    Well technically the 4 stroke was patented in 1861 the 2 stroke 20 years later. You know the idea to squeeze the same or more power with half as many strokes.

The OP does have a point the new 4 stroke pwcs are heavy and expensive thats the truth. To get a used 04 RXP you have to shell out at least $4500 for one in rough shape. Not everyone can afford that.

2 strokes have proven very reliable I have been riding for 14 years and I only recall being towed to shore twice both because of cooling line failures. Nothing engine related. Look at how many issues these new 4 strokes are having, supercharger faiilures, milky oil, etc. In the PWC application 2 strokes have proven very successful.

OP whats this stuff about carbed 2 strokes being outlawed in 2013? Sources? I hope you're wrong.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if two strokes are outlawed in 2013 then thats gonna be like prying my guns out of my cold dead hands...come and get them. my.02

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    2 strokes have proven very reliable I have been riding for 14 years and I only recall being towed to shore twice both because of cooling line failures. Nothing engine related.
    Same here, many years with a Kawi 650 that never left me down for anything engine related, and that was running at 195 psi. Problems were cooling lines, battery, etc but never the motor. Of course, the smoke is a killer and everyting gets oily and it really sucks when you want to go slow down a canal, etc but even I (stayed at a Super 8 one night) can fix it, most of the time. 2 strokes have a nice snap but I really do like the hum of a 4 stroke, the torque curve and the cleanliness.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    if two strokes are outlawed in 2013 then thats gonna be like prying my guns out of my cold dead hands...come and get them. my.02
    I just did some scavenging online and it's a manufacturing ban not a ban on running old units. It would be like trying to ban old cars from the 70's and older from the road because they are too dirty. Will never happen.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the clock is ticking for two stroke standups..I believe these are the only two strokes still being manufactured..in very very limited quantities.

Many venues ban two strokes..and frankly speaking, after seeing what they do to my test tank water, I'm glad my drinking water doesn't come from a body of water they run in.

The DI was seadoos last gasp at a production two stroke that could pass an emissions standard that gets tighter every year.

There is some interesting two stroke technology out there, but we'll be saying good bye to carbs on watercraft the way we did with cars in a few more years

While being an old salty dog I freaked when FI became the commonplace system, I adapted over the years..you can too.

+1
    I hope this ban brings a 4 stroke super jet

+1
    Theres a new 2 stroke that Bill Gates is investing in; opposed cylinders like a subaru;

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2010/0...troke-engines/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information