+1

GPR throttle extra stuff! Is this normal?

Ok so I took out my GP1200r today for the second time since purchasing it and noticed that the throttle has so much spring pressure against it that it starts numbing my index finger after 10 seconds or so. I just got home and my whole hand is very sore. Are all carbed GPRs like this? I know my 98 GP1200 wasn't this firm. Is there anything to do to make it looser?

+1
    Anyone?

+1
    No, it shouldn't be this stiff. I went from a GP1200 to a GP1200r as well, It's say they're about the same or the GPr is softer. Trace your cables, look for weird routing, oil the cables.

Does it return stiffly also?

+1
    Someone may have added a spring to try and fix a throttle shaft sticking problem. Tight throttle shaft is a common problem there is a how-to posted.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...throttle-shaft

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    you could try using your right hand and fingers on something to help build up your strength??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    Ok so I took out my GP1200r today for the second time since purchasing it and noticed that the throttle has so much spring pressure against it that it starts numbing my index finger after 10 seconds or so. I just got home and my whole hand is very sore. Are all carbed GPRs like this? I know my 98 GP1200 wasn't this firm. Is there anything to do to make it looser?
    Sounds like you throttle is actually working (snapping back after you pull the trigger), where as the thread shown describes what you do if the throttle sticks open when you pull the trigger. I am going to assume that yours actually works right, but through the day it fatigues your hand because of too much spring tension.

Each carb has a spring to help the butter fly valve close when you release the throttle (snap back closed). It is the combination tension created by the three springs that is killing your finger. If you were to disable one of the springs, you will find that 2 springs serviceing 3 carbs are more than enough tension to get the job done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by corkycat View Post
    you could try using your right hand and fingers on something to help build up your strength??
    Thank you for that troll, that was really necessary

If you just bought this, I agree that the old owner may have added a spring to fix a sticking throttle problem. When I bought a used GPR last year, the owner had a big old spring from the exhuast attached to the throttle linkage to make it snap back because of a "sticking throttle". Had to go in and fix it the right way.

Thread Information