Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help, my throttle is sticking

This started about half way through the day the last time I had my ski out. I will give any amount of throttle and it will stick unless I pull the thumb throttle back out. I sprayed the linkages on each carb with WD40 and this didn't seem to help at all. Any ideas?

could be the cable is kinked or frayed inside the cover . maybe the cover it self has some wear in it and the cable is catching

+1
    Would it be a good idea to try and spray WD40 inside the cable?

Quote Originally Posted by ObsoleteE View Post
    Would it be a good idea to try and spray WD40 inside the cable?
    it would be a better idea to find where it is sticking first , wd-40 may not be the solution . cables do need to be lubricated once in awhile , but i would check for wear or binding first . dissconnect cable from carbs and try and move manually , feel along the cover for rough spots , or nicks ! or try and visually inspect before removing from carbs , you can even run your fingers along the cover .

+1
    Thanks for the info. Tomorrow I am going to take the handle bar pad off to get a better view of the cable. I hope its not FUBAR'd cause I want to take it out Monday and I doubt I could find a new cable that quickly.

+1
    it may not be the cable.. look at where the cable attaches on the carb rail. it has a aluminum cam that the cable goes around, see if its sticking in the cam as you pull the throttle. if it sticks, check to see if its bent . sometimes both pieces get pinched together by accident and it binds the cable.. also, if you hear the cable click as you move it, that would indicate its sticking there..

like boss said check the operation of the throttle plates with no cable. it should move and open the throttle plates easily when turned. all 3 in unison with some tention on them. no binding. check to see that they open all the way when everything is reattached.

if you put it back together, watch the operation of the cam and see if the cable gets stuck or not. it shouldnt be lifting the cable or pinching it, just smooth movement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1642.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	213055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1641.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	213056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1643.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	213057  

+1
    It's been a while since I have posted here, being out of season and all. I did find my issue. The ODI grips weren't playing nice with the thumb throttle. I took the thumb throttle off and used my dremel to remove some material from the inside of it. No more sticking. My ski is now sitting under a cover, its been fogged and the battery is removed. Should I put the trailer up on jack stands to get the tires off of the concrete?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ObsoleteE View Post
    ...Should I put the trailer up on jack stands to get the tires off of the concrete?
    Not a concern.

Pump the tires up to the rated pressure on the tire sidewalls, and they will be fine sitting over the winter.

Trailer tires die from age and exposure so replace them after five or six years even if they still have lots of tread and look 'OK'.

There is a DOT date code embossed into ONE sidewall of each tire. If the date codes say your trailer tires are more than five years old then plan to buy new ones in the spring.

If your tires are still fairly young then all you need to do is visually inspect them for damage, cuts, bulges, or rubber cracking. Check between the treads and both sides of each tire, all the way around. Any signs of damage or cracking means replacement.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I was going to ask about the grips.....

We had a similar situation after I installed ODI grips on my friends SLT 780 with the thumb throttle. It would "hang up" on the new grips until we filed a little material off of them or the throttle.

If you install a finger throttle, you'll not have that issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Not a concern.

Pump the tires up to the rated pressure on the tire sidewalls, and they will be fine sitting over the winter.

Trailer tires die from age and exposure so replace them after five or six years even if they still have lots of tread and look 'OK'.

There is a DOT date code embossed into ONE sidewall of each tire. If the date codes say your trailer tires are more than five years old then plan to buy new ones in the spring.

If your tires are still fairly young then all you need to do is visually inspect them for damage, cuts, bulges, or rubber cracking. Check between the treads and both sides of each tire, all the way around. Any signs of damage or cracking means replacement.
    Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information