Need Professional Help.....and help with my skis too.

First off thanks for all of the knowledge you guys have and your willingness to help out other pwc owners.

This is my first post so please be kind.

I have two 2007 F12x's. Both with about 50 hours on them. They have been great skis and have served my family well but....

One of the skis has started acting up. When I got on it the other day after it had been on the lift for about a week it would only turn about 4500 RPM's and only run in the 45 MPH range. It did not feel like turbo kicked in at all. I thought this was odd as it had run perfectly fine the last time I was on it a week before.

I checked over the hoses, fittings and everything I knew to check. Then came here an started to read some. I rode it again yesterday and it seemed to do better although still not as it should. This time it ran up to about 5700 RPM's and 54 MPH the turbo definitely kicked in but it seemed to have more lag time than in the past.

I tried it again today and this time it ran 6000 RPM's for just a short time and about 58 MPH but as I kept throttle wide open it started to lag a little after about 20 seconds wide open. The RPM's dropped slowly from 6000 down to about 5400 and 50-52 MPH and that is where it stayed. Top speed for both skis has been 63-64 MPH by the speedo. I realize this in not true MPH but it is all relative.

The other odd thing is at idle speed it normally idles around 1200 when warm and now it is idling around 1450 when warm.

Both of my skis have had regular service and lubrication. I don't think the wastgate linkage is an issue. The turbo spins freely by hand with the hose off. The WGS must be working because it does boost. Plugs seem fine as it runs smooth. I am just at a loss.

Sorry for such a long post but I need some help.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

twofish

+1
    I have very little clue when it comes to the Honda's but just to throw you something to hack at I would recommend checking the wastegate and making sure it's not sticking. Other then that I would say to check the gas maybe? is there a possibility for any water to get in there somehow? That is all for now. Good luck.

to verify the turbo itself is working disconnect the small pressure hose to the wastegate diaphram and ride the unit. If the turbo is working your boat will go into overboost and trigger a code. If turbo is working the P2 valve could be bad. This valve wont throw a code but boat feels flat, only will show 40-45 on speedo and can be intermitten. good luck

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Do my check before you do anything else.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...heck-procedure

Shawn

Will do. Thanks to all for your replies.

twofish

Well, I did the check suggested by Nitro. Turned out okay. Then my second ski started acting up similar to the first so I figure this has to be a fuel issue. Straight to the store for some Seafoam and two cans of good high octane gas. Two hours later everything seems to clear up.

Having the skis on the lake all the time is very convenient and so is buying fuel at the local marina rather than hauling it in cans. Well, no more marina gas for me! Cheap, low octane and apparently full of water, algae or who knows what.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. I am just happy I did not have a more serious problem.

twofish

Quote Originally Posted by twofish View Post
    First off thanks for all of the knowledge you guys have and your willingness to help out other pwc owners.

This is my first post so please be kind.

I have two 2007 F12x's. Both with about 50 hours on them. They have been great skis and have served my family well but....

One of the skis has started acting up. When I got on it the other day after it had been on the lift for about a week it would only turn about 4500 RPM's and only run in the 45 MPH range. It did not feel like turbo kicked in at all. I thought this was odd as it had run perfectly fine the last time I was on it a week before.

I checked over the hoses, fittings and everything I knew to check. Then came here an started to read some. I rode it again yesterday and it seemed to do better although still not as it should. This time it ran up to about 5700 RPM's and 54 MPH the turbo definitely kicked in but it seemed to have more lag time than in the past.

I tried it again today and this time it ran 6000 RPM's for just a short time and about 58 MPH but as I kept throttle wide open it started to lag a little after about 20 seconds wide open. The RPM's dropped slowly from 6000 down to about 5400 and 50-52 MPH and that is where it stayed. Top speed for both skis has been 63-64 MPH by the speedo. I realize this in not true MPH but it is all relative.

The other odd thing is at idle speed it normally idles around 1200 when warm and now it is idling around 1450 when warm.

Both of my skis have had regular service and lubrication. I don't think the wastgate linkage is an issue. The turbo spins freely by hand with the hose off. The WGS must be working because it does boost. Plugs seem fine as it runs smooth. I am just at a loss.

Sorry for such a long post but I need some help.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

twofish

That happen to me two weeks a go and the problem was the wastegate was stick open and the rpm was 4500rpm, after that the wastegate stick close and the rpm was 6400 rpm, my tip is check your wategate, actuator, wategate solenoid

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by german06 View Post
    That happen to me two weeks a go and the problem was the wastegate was stick open and the rpm was 4500rpm, after that the wastegate stick close and the rpm was 6400 rpm, my tip is check your wategate, actuator, wategate solenoid
    I believe he checked the wastegate and found out it was just bad gas.

Are the skis running good after changing the gas?

Thread Information