Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Possible engine failure......

At twenty hours today the FZS died at about half throttle and would not crank again. The starter and bendix are engaging but the engine will not spin. I have pulled the pump and no bearing problem there or nothing sucked up in the prop. I pulled the spark plugs and all the plugs look good, no signs of any damage there but the engine will not spin over. I cant find any oil in the hull or any cracks in the bottom end of the engine (that I can see with a mirror). I can barely get to the intermediate shaft so I am not sure if it will turn or not by hand....I guess I need to remove some more stuff so I can get to the coupler and try to turn it. It is also not the supercharger shaft.

Could this be a seized bearing????

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    At twenty hours today the FZS died at about half throttle and would not crank again. The starter and bendix are engaging but the engine will not spin. I have pulled the pump and no bearing problem there or nothing sucked up in the prop. I pulled the spark plugs and all the plugs look good, no signs of any damage there but the engine will not spin over. I cant find any oil in the hull or any cracks in the bottom end of the engine (that I can see with a mirror). I can barely get to the intermediate shaft so I am not sure if it will turn or not by hand....I guess I need to remove some more stuff so I can get to the coupler and try to turn it. It is also not the supercharger shaft.

Could this be a seized bearing????

If the starter spins and the motor does not it could be either the starter clutch or transfer shaft loosened. The started clutch is the same type as the S/C clutch. If you can turn the coupler CLOCKWISE and the motor turns the shaft loosened. THe motor may not turn immediately as the shaft will tighten and then turn the motor.

However, this does not explain why it died in the first place

if you break the key way the crank sensor timing will be off and it will not run

A friend of mine had the same symptoms of starter spinning but engine not turning.
    The only tell tale that he noticed was that his volts where going down as he rode the 40 miles back to the ramp. He engine stalled when the volts got less than 9 or so.

In his case some of the bolts (there is 6 of them) that hold the Flywheel Magneto to the Starter Gear broke.

Hopefully it is not this but either a starter clutch as SHOBiz said or even the bolts mounting the starter motor.

I cant get the engine to turn over at all by hand but really not sure if I could otherwise, I have never tried before. It would be harder to turn over a 4 stroke by hand even without the plugs because those darn valve springs!!!!...cant think of another way right now, too upset.....

Will removing the valve cover allow me to turn the engine over with the cam sprockets to see if it is locked up?

When the ski died it didnt make any stange sounds like it would if it had came apart. It really just acted like the lanyard was pulled but wouldnt crank again....
    Last edited by OutlawGPR; 09-05-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: k

Will removing the valve cover allow me to turn the engine over with the cam sprockets to see if it is locked up?

When the ski died it didnt make any stange sounds like it would if it had came apart. It really just acted like the lanyard was pulled but wouldnt crank again....
    Take as much as you need off only to get to the tail cone on the pump and remove it (the cone). Then you can put a socket on the nut on the end of the shaft and turn it.

Josh also made a good point about the key way

Good idea about the pump nut! The engine is NOT locked up it will turn in both directions. Has to be a key way/ magneto problem.

+1
    Good idea about the pump nut! The engine is NOT locked up it will turn in both directions. Has to be a key way/ magneto problem.
    Just becasue it turns in both directions does not mean it's messed up. My motor turns in both directions and seems to be just fine. I also use the nut underneath the rear nose cone of the pump.

Has your flywheel EVER been off your crank in the past for any reason?

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Just becasue it turns in both directions does not mean it's messed up. My motor turns in both directions and seems to be just fine. I also use the nut underneath the rear nose cone of the pump.

Has your flywheel EVER been off your crank in the past for any reason?
    I feel like the engine rotating assembly is fine. No thrown rods, spun bearings, etc. Im my opinion it has a flywheel/magneto problem. I have no experience with this style of engine so I really dont fully understand how the flywheel mates to the crank. The starter will spin over but the engine does not turn over. I am taking it to the dealer because it is still under warranty....hopefully they can get it going soon....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information