Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Another SLX bites the Dust. Blew apart the bottom end

One of my guests was riding the slx yesterday when someone came back and said they were dead in the water. I took the boat out and towed the back to shore. The engine was not turning over at all, so I pulled the spark plugs out to see what gives. The Mag plug was destroyed and had aluminum dust all over it. When I took the head off I found the bottom end pieces on top of the piston and it was locked up. Looks like the rod let go.

The guest said to me that it died a few times while he was riding it and it was getting harder and harder to start. WHAT????????????!!!!! I would think you would have brought the ski in for an inspection. Instead the engine just tore itself apart.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the ski now, and the engine is toast

Quote Originally Posted by friscoboater View Post
    One of my guests was riding the slx yesterday when someone came back and said they were dead in the water. I took the boat out and towed the back to shore. The engine was not turning over at all, so I pulled the spark plugs out to see what gives. The Mag plug was destroyed and had aluminum dust all over it. When I took the head off I found the bottom end pieces on top of the piston and it was locked up. Looks like the rod let go.

The guest said to me that it died a few times while he was riding it and it was getting harder and harder to start. WHAT????????????!!!!! I would think you would have brought the ski in for an inspection. Instead the engine just tore itself apart.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the ski now, and the engine is toast
    Thats part of the risk of letting people borrow your ski. If the hull is in good shape save it. There have been numerous 780 partouts on here lately. I'm sure you can get it back in shape for relatively cheap.

Not when the crank is shot. These Polaris models are worth about 400 bucks in this part of the country, so it will be easy to find another.

Quote Originally Posted by friscoboater View Post
    Not when the crank is shot. These Polaris models are worth about 400 bucks in this part of the country, so it will be easy to find another.
    Someone on here got a 780 crank, 2 jugs, 2 pistons, and 2 heads for $260 shipped not to long ago. If you hold out, you can get you you need at a decent price.

I am not sure I want to mess with it. I am really close to looking at another brand of ski to play around with. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these things. No matter how much work you put in them, you still have a failure.

iv been fixing my slx780 for almost 4 years already... and i live very far from U.S., and i cannot find parts here in my country and parts is very long to arrive here from U.S. it takes a month, many parts of my slx is even swapped with the 750, when i have the ski. but i can say.. now that it can be fixed, if you just know how to fix it, greenhulk is a very helpful forums site, iv been asking people here how to do it, i have all the troubles before, blown 3 pistons already, pull out the crank and replaced the bearings, replaced almost everything engine parts, i don't even remember how much i spent for the skii, but now, i did not regret, i have the tank problem only now, and the skii runs very well... =)

I was taking a gamble. I too the jug of this afternoon to see what gives and it was BAD!. The rod was wrapped around the crank and had pulled the wrist pin out of the piston. I am going to start stripping it down for parts in the next few days. It is complete and is great shape.

+1
    Any machine will have trouble. These 2 strokes need to be adjusted/repaired properly. Every brand will be the same. There are loads of info in the tech section-

+1
    i have a crank and 2 pistons i can sell.. just need to talk to my buddy to se what he wants for them

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information