MSX 150 Problem??!!

Just joined today, have been reading for the last few months now and have learned much about the MSX 150's. A friend of mine has owned two since new in 2004. He has grown tired of them and has given me both. Each machine has less than 100 hours of riding on them. One has less than 50 I am sure because the engine has been in pieces for four years now. Which brings me to my question? He brought it into the dealer 4 years ago for a consistent problem of running for a while and after shutdown not restarting until left to cool down for a few hours. He said when it started to pull water through it it would quit. All this is second hand and I don't have my hands on the ski as of yet. I do know the engine is all in pieces and the dealer told him it was some manufacturer's defect with the piston rings. I have not read anything about that from anyone on this forum so I am curious where to start with an engine in pieces. (check the block, replace piston rings, rebuild and try it out????)

The other ski has a charging problem I think. The battery will not stay charged and I am thinking about changing the regulator from the really broken MSX with the one that won't stay charged to at least get one of these running.

I will get both of them first week in October and as I live in Texas there will still be some Lake time left in the season especially for testing purposes of the one ski.

So any suggestions on the parted engine would be super helpful and I am still reading threads and posts on maintenance for these so don't assume I know anything yet. But I am diligently learning to be as prepared as possible when they arrive from California. I will post some pics when they get here.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Lots to learn about the Weber turbo-charged engine! These engines are highly controlled by the computer system, with multiple sensors. Unless everything is 100% they can give strange symptoms.

The early generation of the Nicasil plated Weber cylinders (which is what was available to Polaris at the time) had reliability issues, and sometimes the plating would start the flake off. Once this happens, the engine needs a rebuild.

Since 2004 (when your MSX were made), Weber has improved the engine and a number of Weber and aftermarket refinements are now available.

Click my signature links below for some info, and spend time in the MSX/Matrix and General forums reading up on the common problems MSX 150 and MSX 110 (same engine). You will find posts by Desperado, 2&4strokePolaristech, Kosh and others to be informative

Those who have and work on these engines will tell you that they take hours to remove or install. Just a lot crammed into that hull.

Keep us posted on your projects!

Thanks and I will keep reading!! Can you tell from just looking at the cylinder walls that the plating is flaking off. The one engine is already out and down to the pistons. This is the one the dealer told my friend needed a rebuild. Who should I take it too, to confirm or recant what the dealer told him four years ago? (Polaris Dealer, Small engine shop????) Obviously this one will be a work in progress and if I am going to have to put it back together I might as well add some mods on my way. Part of me wants it to have to be rebuilt just so I have an excuse to put better parts back into it. It's my sick need to tinker or work on something!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Post some photos of the engine cylinders once you get it.

BTW, do a full check-up on the 'running' machine. Compression, waste gate shaft, etc.

Upgrade wise, contact Desperado, Jay at Sharps Marine, and Randy at Watcon. Some upgrades are reliability related (wastegate shaft oiling, roll-over oil canister). Desperado's ECU upgrade (even without the matching turbo upgrade) is compelling. More power, better reliability, and good fuel economy

Thread Information