Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar

97 GP 1200 Slow Holeshot

My GP seems as if it doesn't want to hook up on the holeshot. It's almost like I'm "spinning the tires". I have to really feather the throttle to get it on plane, and then finally it really takes off. Is this normal?
    I thought I read the GP had a great holeshot. My ski is pretty much bone stock. The previous owner might have put on a Riva Ride Plate & possibly intake grate. I will try to snap a few pics and post them so you all can see.

Any suggestions would be fantastic. I just had the carbs rebuilt by Oside, so I'm sure that's not the problem.

your impeller are maybe damaged - if the impeller are OK i think you need pump seal kit..

+1
    There are no pump seal "kits" for the GPs. Maybe the screws on the carbs need adjusted slightly. If you slam the throttle from a stop does it fall on its face or hesitate?

+1
    It sounds like cavitation to me. Check the impeller for damage and see if your impeller to wear ring clearance is in spec.

You may also want to check to make sure the seals and bearings on the shaft are good. Air could be comming in there too

Quote Originally Posted by akjose View Post
    There are no pump seal "kits" for the GPs. Maybe the screws on the carbs need adjusted slightly. If you slam the throttle from a stop does it fall on its face or hesitate?
    It more or less falls on its face. It seems like the prop is spinning like crazy and it can't pull enough water through to hook up and engage. I will have to get under the trailer and take a look at the seal, etc.

+1
    Well, if you think the prop is spinning like crazy, are you seeing a rise in RPMs with no go? Or, is the engine bogging down like it is going to shut off <- That is what I meant by falling on its face I...meaning it is too lean. If it hesitates its too rich.

If the impeller is stock and the engine is mostly stock then it probably isnt spinnning out of the hole. It very well could be cavitating. Your not going to see much underneath without pulling the pump. Take a close look at the condition of the imp. and wear ring. Grab a feeler gauge and check the wear ring to impeller clearance like brandon suggested earlier. Your impeller could be jacked up.

Okay, possible misunderstanding of terminology.
    The ski redlines with the engine maxed out, but it's like the impeller isn't engaging with the water. I have to let up on the throttle and it starts to take off, then I can hammer it after it gets on plane.

I just rebuilt my first engine, but never done any work underneath, so that will also be a learning experience for me. We'll see what I can come up with.

+1
    what type of intake grate? and definitely get a look at that impeller. I have seen a reed get caught on the leading edge of an impeller and that ski would not move.

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    It sounds like cavitation to me. Check the impeller for damage and see if your impeller to wear ring clearance is in spec.
    The ski sat unused all last year, as I lost my job and didn't have the money to take it to the lake. However, now I am rolling again and want to get this thing fixed, so I can enjoy it this summer.
    I think I am going to go ahead and upgrade to a Solas XO impeller. Does anyone have one for sale? What other things should I change or look out for when replacing the impeller?

Thanks for the continued help everyone! This site is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information