Water in the fuel tank?

I read this post that stuckmoto and scott replied to some and it sounds like this could be my problem, My 2005 rxt 215 starts acting up after a rough ride. It cuts out and runs real nasty. I've been towed in twice. It starts up the next day, slightly rough at first but then clears out. This RXT got banged up in my garage from Hurricane IKE. It only has 30 hrs on it because it hardly gets used (bought it for the wife). Can't post a pic right now of the carnage but I will later.

Now, how do I get the water pout of the tank? I have poured about a quart of methanol in some flood cars that ran but had some water in the tank. That seems to do the trick. I'm debating on doing this. I mean it's a 4 stroke fuel inj....why not. Thought I wouldd get an opinion on it before doing it.

I have also read on some other posts of fuel pump problems with this year model and it acts like this as well. I imagine some salt water would have ate this pump up by now. I eard the pump usually acts up after about 30 min to an hour of riding before it starts cutting out. That's about the time frame for mine, but I never rode on smooth runs long enough to find out if its roughwater or a fuel pump fixing to die. I'll get the pic of the rxt as soon as I can.

I bought some new plugs but haven't put them in just yet, It's running so smooth right now. I figured once plugs are fouled, they are done for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2450.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	213223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2451.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	213224  
    Last edited by holleynut; 09-06-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: pic

Banned User
    Aussie Land

You're chartering into unknown waters!

I'd try syphoning out the the fuel, yeah its true the water will stay at the bottom of the tank if un-touched, it only takes less than a minute for a majority of the water to settle on the bottom after agitation... I'd siphon as much fuel out as possible into some jerry cans, and with the last 5% or so, just use it as bonfire fuel.

I'd make sure the tank is practically bone dry before re-filling.. It should be fine to put the old fuel back in, but just to be safe, I'd put a batch of new fuel in.

If you want to unscrew the fuel pump assembly, the lock ring on top of the fuel pump is approx. 5 inches across...

I got a 4 inch, 3 toothed claw type oil filter grabber and welded 3 pieces of steel onto the ends to extend it wider.. Use that to unscrew the lock ring, remove the fuel lines, remove the fuel pump and start siphoning...

Good thinking on the metho, but I'd try that AFTER siphoning. And definitely go easy on the boost/rpm doing that.

I like that oil filter grabber mod.....thanks for the advice.

Thread Information