Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone ever put in an insurance claim with Progressive?

Long story short my ski had to be left to sea in some rough seas as it would not start.
    Trying to tow it, it ended up capsized. It has been in the ocean since sat afternoon and I found out it was my responsibility to have it towed in.
    I got a call from the Coast Guard of its wereabouts and they waited till I sent SEATOW to retrieve it.
    $1100 later i have it in my possession and was told to bring it to a SeaDoo dealer to be checked out to see if the motor can be saved.
    It was totally submerged(except the bow) for 2 days,a mix of oil and saltewated filled hte hull. The top rail was worn down to the fiberglass.

I guess my question here is if you have made a claim with progressive(or any other company for that matter) how did it work out for you?
    What did they end up doing for you?
    I have my policy in to me its confusing at best.
    Thanks for you repsonses

+1
    They are supposed to cover sinking don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
    Long story short my ski had to be left to sea in some rough seas as it would not start.
    Trying to tow it, it ended up capsized. It has been in the ocean since sat afternoon and I found out it was my responsibility to have it towed in.
    I got a call from the Coast Guard of its wereabouts and they waited till I sent SEATOW to retrieve it.
    $1100 later i have it in my possession and was told to bring it to a SeaDoo dealer to be checked out to see if the motor can be saved.
    It was totally submerged(except the bow) for 2 days,a mix of oil and saltewated filled hte hull. The top rail was worn down to the fiberglass.

I guess my question here is if you have made a claim with progressive(or any other company for that matter) how did it work out for you?
    What did they end up doing for you?
    I have my policy in to me its confusing at best.
    Thanks for you repsonses
    First off, that really sucks, sorry to hear.

left your ski out there all by it`s lonesome? it is your responsibility for your machine...
    what do you mean you tried to tow it in? and it capsized?

Im wondering why the coast gaurd wasn`t more helpful, and placed your ski ashore?

my sincere apologies for your loss...and good luck!
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-06-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: removed ,

We had gone out riding in 2-4 ft somewhat normal seas, wind picked up and we were off shore a few miles in 8-10ft seas. When trying to tow it (by the front hull hook point)
    it capsized and we righted it twice to the same outcome.
    WIthout power it could not get over the wave being that the tow ski was already over the top.
    I told the Ins the truth in complete how it happened. It was an accident and at the point of the third rollover I was not risking my
    life or my friends anymore over my jet ski.
    We called the coast guard when we reached shore to advise them it was out there.
    No one was going out in 10 ft sees to retrieve something they most likely would not find.
    Once it showed up today the Coast Guard called andstayed with it I sent Sea Tow out the retrieve it.
    Their concern at this point is weather the motor is junk or not.I need to be drained and filled,the motor fogged and
    fired t o see its condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto J View Post
    We had gone out riding in 2-4 ft somewhat normal seas, wind picked up and we were off shore a few miles in 8-10ft seas. When trying to tow it (by the front hull hook point)
    it capsized and we righted it twice to the same outcome.
    WIthout power it could not get over the wave being that the tow ski was already over the top.
    I told the Ins the truth in complete how it happened. It was an accident and at the point of the third rollover I was not risking my
    life or my friends anymore over my jet ski.
    We called the coast guard when we reached shore to advise them it was out there.
    No one was going out in 10 ft sees to retrieve something they most likely would not find.
    Once it showed up today the Coast Guard called andstayed with it I sent Sea Tow out the retrieve it.
    Their concern at this point is weather the motor is junk or not.I need to be drained and filled,the motor fogged and
    fired t o see its condition.
    Kudos for making the right decision. ski`s can be replaced. that explanation sheds better light on what happened.
    the ski... when there is any water intrusion, the oil should be changed out immediately like 3-4 times, then the ski run good and hot to get out any additional moisture. Since the electronics, dash, connectors have been soaking in brine most likely the ski is toast and will be written off as a total loss.
    whom ever is the loss payee will be settled along with whatever dealings you have with said finances.
    IMHO, I prolly would just let it be, bc if you do getting running, it won`t last long if any rust formed inside and the electrolysis in any electrical components...

I knew someone who hit a submerged vessel, and that was really bad...

good luck, and don`t sweat it...

how was the ski spotted? was it floating around, or did it make landfall?

and you prolly could buy it back cheaply and do something with it...

Someone in a boat spotted it this am and called the CG,they went out and it was bow up. Never made landfall.
    I am bit weary myself about everything being underwater for 2 days.
    I will call dealer in the a, and see what their schedule is.

Otto, how did you make out?

I brought it to CT Power and Sports and they are doing what the insurance company and Sea Doo recommend after this type of accident.
    I should know more about condition tomorrow.

On that note i called about my policy and what coverage i have if totalled and was told I get the book value if this is how it ends up.
    Current Book value on an 08 RXTX is around 7400 minus the 1000 deductible would get me 6400 (plus towing) which leaves me with no
    ski and oweing 2000 for payoff
    The policy does state it cover electronics and loss, my Blackberry Curve and Garming CSX76 got runined also so I will have to submit this.
    I did install a factory depth finder myself i bought off ebay 2 years ago dont have the reciept though as well as
    a 137 Supercharger and Solas prop.
    I do have the reciept for the new carbon ring setup i just installed.

I am figuring the best i can do "IF" they total it is to buy it back and go through the whole thing.

It does appear that they do offer a replacement insurance policy that you get a new model year ski if yours is totalled up to the year yours turns 5 model years old.
    Something I wish they would have offered when i got my policy as I would have definetly took it.
    My policy is fair market value and or NADA value

+1
    Your policy should cover some of the towing, mine does.
    Oh, and you can expect your insurance with Progressive to go up, up, up...

I made a small claim for some stuff that was stolen out of my boat and within a short time they doubled the premiums so I dumped them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information