Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Broken pump bolt--how to remove?

I need a little expert advice. One of those long bolts that holds the pump together on my Virage TX has busted off flush with the pump housing. How the heck am I going to get that out? Between the loctite and the corrosion, it's kind of hard to get those bolts out even with the head on. What do you suggest for a plan of action? Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It's going to be VERY difficult with Loctite on it.

You're going to have to try a Cobalt drill bit to drill the SS. (use a center punch to dimple the broken bolt in the center)

Then use a small Cobalt bit as a pilot hole and then follow up with a slightly larger one.

Then cross your fingers and try the screw extractor.

Good luck.

+1
    When I started my build, I purchased a high quality set of easy outs and small machine screw extractors from Sears. I used them both on the build and they worked perfectly. Do yourself a favor and get the right parts for the job. If you break off a cheep easy out in the bolt, you will be hating life as they are hardened steel and harder to drill than the stainless steel.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

the art of extraction

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.htm

posted this before, but still relevant

Home grown engineer, and professional tinkerer. 2 Strokin' Polaris's Avatar
    Patience is the best rule of thumb. I feel your pain as I broke the top right bolt off last week in the pump housing. It is slow going, and with the drill and extractor method you may end up pulling it out in sections. I had a 1 inch section break off of the bolt last night and thought I had won the lottery only to discover the rest of the bolt was still sitting tight after threading out the piece that came loose.

Due dilligence will get it out, because that is a lot easier than replacing the housing.

I don't know how much Loctite you have on there but I would try and get lucky with a left handed drill first to see if it jars it loose a little bit at the very least. If that doesn't work then I would follow what xlint has laid out. Unfortunately, you can't use heat in there or it would make it much easier to get it out. I don't think one of those little hand held torches would generate enough heat to gum up the Loctite to get it out easier but you would probably be able to get that in there and not cause any damage because heat can be directed to just the broken stud with a steady hand.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    ...I don't think one of those little hand held torches would generate enough heat to gum up the Loctite to get it out easier but you would probably be able to get that in there and not cause any damage because heat can be directed to just the broken stud with a steady hand.
    Actually, a compact mini-torch can do an excellent job of breaking down the Loctite. Aim the focus of the flame right on the end of the bolt and the heat will work its way down the bolt. Once you get the Loctite hot enough, it changes composition and no longer acts like glue in the threads.

I use one that is powered by a butane lighter carticdge. Works well in tight spaces.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll start gathering the necessary tools. I've had this kind of thing happen before with motorcycles, but there was never loctite/corrosion involved and they always came right out. This is going to be a whole different animal...

+1
    Putting anti-seize on the bolts is a good idea for saltwater riders when re assembling. that would stop any corrosion and make it easier to remove when needed. ( Yeah I know, Hindsight sucks,lol) jus saying......

if you use a small pilot drill, go easy and dont snap it off. the small drills snap off easy if you are too hard on the drill or if it slips off the bolt. If you snap it off, your screwed.. cant drill a cobalt drill out of stainless steel. even if you think its working(drilling out the broken drill bit),, the drill will end up off to the side and the hole will be off. might not get the bolt out either after you ruin the hole.. so be careful. slow and steady.

can you show a picture of the problem area?

Home grown engineer, and professional tinkerer. 2 Strokin' Polaris's Avatar
    I am not too keen on flames around SMC/Fiberglass/resin regardless of how small.....I plan to use the heat from a soldering iron with the tip stuck inside the drilled out bolt. Do allow room for expansion and 10 minutes for the heat to travel the length of the bolt.

Here is what I have been working on:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken bolt 016.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	213487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken bolt 015.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	213488

I am sure RPT50's situation looks very similar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information