Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

something weird happened

Hi all, I'm not sure this thread is in the correct forum, so forgive me if it isn't.
    I'll also apologize in advance for the lengthy post.
    Here goes...
    We took our skis out to the lake this weekend and both were running fine. My brother-in-law took the ski out for a while (2000 GTX RXDI) and when he came back, I took a ride. Within 5 minutes of being on the ski, while I was going across the lake (taking it easy), the ski just died- like someone pulled the plug on it. I took the key out and put it back in, the ski chirped twice, and turned over very weak. I tried to crank it a few times and kinda got the same thing mostly, at times not turning over at all. It did crank for a couple of seconds and ran very rough, then quit. I got it back to the boat house and took it out of the water. I checked all the common things (gas, oil, no water in the hull), removed the plugs and cranked it- no water shooting out. I put the battery on a charger that would give the charge %- it was at 64%. The ski turned over strong like it normally would. I checked the intake to see if something got sucked up but nothing. I put it back in the water and it cranked fine. I didn't run it but just a minute to make sure the water pump was working and it was. We let it rest for the night and ran it today with no problems.
    My first guess was that something got sucked in the intake since it was trying to run, but immediately turned off like something was preventing the propulsion. My in-law did say that while he was in a no-wake zone he did hear a "screech" once, but ran fine the whole time.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Does it sound like anything major happened? Is there something else that I could check?
    This is my first ski so I'm not familiar with a lot of things on it.
    Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Sounds like it seized up. Was the engine hot when it was doing that? The same thing happend on my GSXL. Once it sat for a while and cooled down it would run. That screach was prob the piston rings scraching agaisnt the cly walls. I would start with a compression test and make sure your compression is decent. You should pull the head off and inspect the cyl walls, pistons and check the pistons for play. If it needs the top end rebuilt, I would do that now before it blows up and takes the crank out with it. Post pics of your findings.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like you squeeked a piston...do a compression check then if its off pull the head and see how bad it is.

thanks for the replies- the ski had been running for an hour or so.
    I'll try to check the compression this week- what should it be? I know you said play in the pistons, but what should I be looking for? If it does need the top-end replaced, what's an estimate on having this done, and what does that mean exactly? Fortunately, this was our last trip for the season so if the ski needs to sit for a while, it won't be a big deal. I just don't want to pour a ton of money in it right now.
    Thanks again!!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    135-140 psi, as far as a top end job get ready to drop some big coin, DI parts are more expensive than a carb engine, due to the piston thickness and operating temperature.

as far as the screeching noise, I can assure you it was not the piston against the wall. I'm sorry ccstamoulis but thats the dumbest thing I heard
    there is no way to hear such a sound inside a combustion engine, especially it being a noisy 2 stroke. The exhaust will over come any scratching going on inside the piston and cyl.

A seized engine would bog down all the sudden and die, or keep going on the other piston and self destruct.
    A mild seize you can feel it while riding, it would feel like a hiccup on the engine like a miss.

doing a compression test will reveal what the fuss is all about.
    but the screeching noise was not a piston lol. Remember, the pistons are lubricated and its not a metal to metal friction
    the pistons are way softer than that.

Mine ran lean, screached and it was the skirt that broke off the piston.. Maybe it fell into the case and crank screached it agaist that haha All I am saying is that when my 951 topend went boom I heard that

Could have been the cat I sucked into the pump too

I'm going to get the compression checked this week sometime. If the compression checks out on both cylinders, is it possible that something did get sucked into the intake that caused the ski to die so suddenly? If I remember correctly, when the ski died, my instrument cluster didn't register anything (MPH)- kinda like the ski was just completely off.
    Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    135-140 psi, as far as a top end job get ready to drop some big coin, DI parts are more expensive than a carb engine, due to the piston thickness and operating temperature.

as far as the screeching noise, I can assure you it was not the piston against the wall. I'm sorry ccstamoulis but thats the dumbest thing I heard
    there is no way to hear such a sound inside a combustion engine, especially it being a noisy 2 stroke. The exhaust will over come any scratching going on inside the piston and cyl.

A seized engine would bog down all the sudden and die, or keep going on the other piston and self destruct.
    A mild seize you can feel it while riding, it would feel like a hiccup on the engine like a miss.

doing a compression test will reveal what the fuss is all about.
    but the screeching noise was not a piston lol. Remember, the pistons are lubricated and its not a metal to metal friction
    the pistons are way softer than that.

compression tested

I finally got around to checking the compression- 110 out of both cylinders- is this normal? I would think that if there was an internal problem, there would be a distinct difference in the two. Is there anything else I should look at?
    Thanks!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    i'm guessing is due to a weak battery or a gauge, but if they are the same psi than you are good, realistic 110 is low. should be 130-145

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    i'm guessing is due to a weak battery or a gauge, but if they are the same psi than you are good, realistic 110 is low. should be 130-145
    I've been doing a little reading since checking it- a lot of people have echoed you with the battery. I'm about to check voltage on it and put it on charge. Our other 2000 GTX (carb) showed 125/117- completely different engine so I don't know if you can compare apples to apples with it. The gauge was one of the screw in types from AutoZone, so I'm not sure how good of a gauge it is. I'm curious to see what happens after a full battery charge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information