Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

A carbon fiber alternative to aftermarket FZR/FZS handlebars

I've been working with carbon fiber for a few weeks, and I'm learning what works and what doesn't. It takes some practice, and as the materials aren't cheap it's taken some money. But now I'm starting to turn out some pretty good looking projects.

While buying some carbon fiber for other projects, came across carbon fiber sleeving. It got me to thinking about what I could do with it. Seems to have turned out pretty well.

People buy aftermarket bars for different reasons; some want to have a better position, some want a crossbar across them, but we all want better looking bars than the dull brushed aluminum ones that show when you take the handlebar cover off. This give you a better looking bar with a few advantages over aftermarket bars. For one, all of the controls will reinstall without any drilling or grinding. Another advantage is that the OEM waverunner cover will fit on it just fine, unlike the problems I've had with some aftermarket bars.

I thought about covering the entire bar, but I didn't know if I would have enough clearance for the trim handle after the CF and a few layers of epoxy. Another issue would be marking the holes for the screws that go through the bar and drilling them back out again. So I ended the CF right up next to the screw holes; the grips and switch assemblies will cover up the rest of the bar when they are installed.

The bars actually aren't quite finished yet; that's the last coat of epoxy drying on them right now. Tomorrow I will wetsand them with ultra fine sandpaper and apply a polyurethane coat to provide UV protection, so the finish will be even smoother. I'll be working late tomorrow so I went ahead and posted these pics tonight.

Wow great job! Would love to see the finished product!

+1
    Now I just need to find a FZR to put them on, lol. Right now I have a set of bars and a reverse handle.... buying it one piece at a time, lol.

+1
    smitty that looks very good.. i like it, but i think you will have to do some work to the clamps since they fit very tight on the bars, otherwise it will ruin your nice work when you try and tighten the clamps on those bars, just a thought..

+1
    Hadn't thought about that... what about those rubber spacer strips you use when you attach things to a bicycle? Or maybe a strip of black tape around them where the clamps go. The epoxy and CF is pretty damn tough, and the way the FZR bars bolt on keep them from rolling in the clamps like those on a GPR could. Any thoughts?

+1
    Here they are mounted on Johns FZR.

You might wanna start making hulls. Might be better than that nano crap.

+1
    Something tells me that hulls are just a little more complicated than overlaying bars.

+1
    how much? when does my set ship?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flkeyzgp1300r View Post
    how much? when does my set ship?
    I figure $75 and your core will cover costs and labor. I still gotta get my core back from John so I can do the next set, unless one wants to go a couple of weeks with no bars. I'll let you know when the next set is ready.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information