Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water getting into cylinders

Finished my rebuild. Engine fired right up on the trailer and put it in the water. Noticed that it was bogging down, so brought it back and put it back on the trailer. Inspected all the spark plugs and number 3 was much cleaner than the other 2. Hit the starter and noticed that quite a bit of water was coming out of the #3 cylinder. Got it all out of there, put the plug back in, ran it, checked the plug again and it was darker (and cylinder was hot).

Retorqued head gasket bolts and tried again. Again, bogged down, brought it back and pulled all three spark plugs and turned it over to see water coming out of all three cylinders.

So, pulled the head and checked both gaskets. The were both correct - nothing misaligned, backwards, etc., on the gaskets.

So, the question is, where is the water coming from? It is possible that I've got something wrong with the gaskets on the exhaust manifold?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun2 View Post
    Finished my rebuild. Engine fired right up on the trailer and put it in the water. Noticed that it was bogging down, so brought it back and put it back on the trailer. Inspected all the spark plugs and number 3 was much cleaner than the other 2. Hit the starter and noticed that quite a bit of water was coming out of the #3 cylinder. Got it all out of there, put the plug back in, ran it, checked the plug again and it was darker (and cylinder was hot).

Retorqued head gasket bolts and tried again. Again, bogged down, brought it back and pulled all three spark plugs and turned it over to see water coming out of all three cylinders.

So, pulled the head and checked both gaskets. The were both correct - nothing misaligned, backwards, etc., on the gaskets.

So, the question is, where is the water coming from? It is possible that I've got something wrong with the gaskets on the exhaust manifold?
    used the old head gasket Cyl or head is not flat or is warped pitting on cyl or head surface

Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    used the old head gasket Cyl or head is not flat or is warped pitting on cyl or head surface
    Used new head gaskets (used all new gaskets in the rebuild - only ones I reused were the crankshaft seals).
    Head was flat and not warped or pitted that I could see. All bolts were installed with thread lock and torqued per specs.

U should check your cylinder gasket i had a similar problem,took everything apart and notice somebody put it on backwards

+1
    Did you pressure test the engine? It's the easiest way to find external and internal (to waterjackets) leaks

I did pressure test and, at the time, thought it was strange that I had air leaking out top of the head from the two connectors that go from the head into the exhaust. Plugged them up, and pressure test was good. In hindsight, I now understand that I shouldn't have had any leaks from the cylinder into the waterjackets.

I'm still pulling out the exhaust to get into the cylinder gaskets and exhaust gaskets to see what I had wrong.

+1
    could be a cracked exhaust manifold... seen that a few times

+1
    During pressure testing i found a bad cylinder. It had a pinhole leak from the transfer port to the waterjacket around the exhaust port. Took a while to figure out where the leak was.

Quote Originally Posted by old school gp View Post
    U should check your cylinder gasket i had a similar problem,took everything apart and notice somebody put it on backwards
    That was it. In my rush and excitement to get it back together, I put the third cylinder gasket on backwards. That explains the water. Glad that I was able to figure it out.

Also wish that I had purchased Waveeater clips; when I was flushing all the water out, appears that the powervalve dropped into the third cylinder and clipped the piston. I'm kinda back where I was a couple of months ago...

Yea shogun I had that same problem I couldnt figure were that water was coming from I got up 3 30 n the morning went n broke it down n seen that gasket backwards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information